New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SteGore
Yearling

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  21:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next week i may the new owner/rescuer of two 3 yearold beardies.Owners moving away and cant take with.Free with viv and all gear.
Looking forward to it
Any helpful advive or tips would be much appreciated.
CHEERS

2.2.2.Corns-0.2.0.Cali Kings-0.1.0.MBK-1.0.0.Pastel Boa-1.0.0.CCP-0.1.0.Royal-1.0.0 BRB-0.1.0.Spotted Python-0.1.0.Olive Python-0.1.0.Trinket Snake.-1.0.0.Peppermint Pacman Frog-0.2.0.Train Millipedes-0.1.0.Armoured bush Cricket-2.GALS.6 Albino GALS-6 Pancake Slugs.1.Green Mantis.0.1.0.Shi-tzhu cross.

madmartyn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  08:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lots of greens to eat and locusts, they are such charactuers, mine has a bath once a week nice warm water just covering her front legs and she,ll hack up and down the bath or just sit there but it is a good way to keep them hydrated as they dont drink from water bowls to much, something to do with standing water and them not recognizing that it is water. i mist the artificial plants in viv in the mornings to simulate morning dew wich she licks of the leaves.
there is a huge debate as to wether or not they should be cohabited as they are solitary lizards and only meet up to breed if they happen across another one but if they are happy together and in a big enough viv to have enough space each i cant see no probs, my beardie has a 4 foot one to herself,
another huge argument is substrate for them, i spent hours and hours reading all differing posts on the web arguing for and against differnt types, so i came up with half the viv is thin sandstone slabs from b and q brocken up and crazy pathing style layed in viv (also helps to keep claws trimmed down) then kiln dried playsand sifted in the cracks then repti grass then finished of with a sandy end with more of the play sand, a basking rock (not a heat rock as they can burn their bellies on them) log and a basking platform and some plants.
the hardest thing i found was temps, spent more hours trying to sort this out, everyone tells you what they should be and where the lamps go and so on but no real basic set up help (should do one myself now) anyway it is far far far easier to ignore them all and concentrate on the cool end not the hot end, get the cool end to a stable 27degrees and the rest sorts itself out(2 digital thermometres required)
and lots of handling they seem to love human contact,

0.1.0 Okeetee/caramel thumper
0.1.0 bearded dragon izzie
0.1.0 bci lola
0.0.1 hypno toad (albino horned toad)
0.1.0 king dr lecter
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  08:31:13  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Advice: Dont change your mind and get dolls instead (a m8 of mine did this she nrly got beardie but decided she wanted a £70 doll instead lol)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  09:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My biggest bit of advice. DON'T SPOIL THEM WITH INSECTS!! My guy is 6 now and I made the mistake of giving him too many creepy crawlies at the start. I now have to persuade him to eat any greens. I had to starve him for three days before he'd even touch it one time..! and even then I had to put it on a ****tail stick and make it wiggle! He's a big fatty lol.

(C-ocktail stick!!)

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog

Edited by - Katie.Dublin on 11/02/2012 09:45:36
Go to Top of Page

madmartyn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
139 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  18:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
had to ween mine of off meal worms as previous owner fed her them all the time was a tough time for her, was like a lizard rehab lol

0.1.0 Okeetee/caramel thumper
0.1.0 bearded dragon izzie
0.1.0 bci lola
0.0.1 hypno toad (albino horned toad)
0.1.0 king dr lecter
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  19:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My advise on Beardie's, reguardless of their past is that you give them as much time as possible to settle in to your home. They will have new smells and new territory to come to terms with. I'd recommend situating them in a sociable room, such as a living room, as it helps them to socialize with you and get used to your routine.

I can only advise not to house them together, even if they were so before coming into your care. Seperation will not make them sad or lonely. They will not miss each other. If anything, their health or character will improve, as there will no longer be a hierachy between them. They will have their own space and food without competition.

Mix up their diet a little. Mine have locusts, large black crickets, mario worms and occassionally wax worms. Mine do not each veg at all yet still maintain a healthy living. I offer it every day though. Usually the crickets end up eating it. It's vital that you coat their food with vitamin powder. I use Nutrobol on everything I give them, as sometimes if the prey source stays too long uneaten in the viv, it cleans itself off or jumps in the water bowl. Therefore, when I give them everything dusted in powder, I know that they get some powder with each feed.

If you plan to keep them on sand, beware of sand in their poop. Beardies naturally lick every couple of minutes, and will lick anything. Sand in their gut can cause impaction, where their gut gets clogged. I keep mine on kitchen lino, as it's easy to clean/ manage and keeps their gut clean and healthy.

But most of all you must have fun with them!! Each has such a different character to the next. I think they're like puppies, really naughty and inquisitive, just scaley! Mine both like sitting on my shoulders and scampering around my living room, climbing stairs and falling asleep under the couch (which is a pain!). Always supervise them when having a free roam, as again, they could lick up anything.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish

Edited by - Emmy1 on 12/02/2012 19:55:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page