New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dangerkitty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  16:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have recently brought my first corn snake from a local reptile center that was closing down. We got him in his RUB which we were told would be suitable for him while we got a viv for him. We had no heat mat so put him on top of the gecko viv hoping this would provide some heat.

He took his first meal very well but brought it up again the next day. I assume it was due to the temperature being to low or stress.
Last night we put him in his new viv, 2ft with bark substrate. it has a 60watt light but no heat mat. The shop we got it from said that a light would be enough and the temp reaches 85 when the light is on.
The snake explored a lot when we first put him in, but kept getting up on a ledge that he couldn't get off and he fell twice. Now he is buried under the bark and isn't coming out.

Is this normal behavior for being put into a new home?

We will be getting a heat mat and placing it under the tank ( as it is glass) as the temp dropped to 60 last night.
Any help and advice would be appreciated.

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  16:59:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there

He probably regurged as the temp wasn't high enough for him to digest ideally the warm end should be 27-30 C. When moving into a new home they should be left alone without handling or feeding for at least 7 days or longer if it takes for them to settle in and get used to their new surroundings.

Have you got a guard for your lamp if not please turn it off and not feed until you have one, snakes can constrict the bulb smashing it or get burnt from it.

The heatmat is the best source of heat controlled by a thermostat and temps measured with a digital thermometer.

How old is your snake, what's it size??

Good luck

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  20:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi there - you will get very good advice on here to keep your snake happy n healthy, i,ve only had snakes for about 8 months n the help on here is invaluable

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  21:02:00  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I echo what tordojo has said above. If you don't have a guard for the bulb please turn it off as your snake could get badly burnt. Also it needs to be attached to a thermostat to ensure it doesn't get too hot. When you get a heatmat you can do away with the bulb but you must make sure you have a thermostat for that too.

Can you give us more details about your set-up. What hides do you have? What other decoration? What type of thermometer are you using to check the temperatures and where are youmeasuring from?

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  22:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome, I'm sure you will get some great advice, I know I have found this forum really useful

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  22:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  02:27:59  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also echo Kdlang and tordojo

also make sure plenty of hides and decor if snakey is small in comparison to 2ft viv
Go to Top of Page

Dangerkitty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  11:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the advice. The bulb does not have a guard on it and we are going to get a new light fitting today as the one the guy put on there is at an angle and wouldn't be able to put a guard around it.

We are looking at a new viv for him, a wooden one that will suit him better but in the mean time we are changing the light fitting and getting a guard.

NoFeet is quite young i think as we were not told how old in the shop I can only guess. his head is about 2cm across and he's about 2 - 2 and a half foot long. I say he as we don't know what sex. they guy said he could probe him and let us know but as we don't intend to get another or breed we didn't see the point in causing unnecessary stress.

The thermometer is just a dial one and is in line with the bulb, which is where they guy said to put it.
He has a wood hide which he is no longer using as he prefers to hide under one or the decorations. there are a few logs and fake plants all attached to the tank (which will make it harder to clean grr)

Also how do I put pics up so that i can show you what the set up looks like.
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  11:18:17  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ideally he needs a hide at the warm and the cool ends.
This might be of use
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

Read this for pic info
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14057

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  11:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To put pics up you need to use a photo imaging host site such as photobucket, then copy the links into your post, make sure you get them the right size - have a look at the photo sticky's for a guide on how to do it.

You need to get a digital thermometer and a thermostat, the two probes should be together on the heat source. A dial thermometer will only read the ambient temperature not the actually temperature of the bulb/mat, making you think the viv is too cool. You can buy the digi ones for as little as 3.99 off ebay.

At 2 - 2.5ft i would say he's probably a year to year and half, whats he currently being fed?

Sometimes shops will say anything they need to to make a sale, some are really good and give great advice, unfortunately the bad advice usually goes to those who know no different - but for those people they have us lovely peeps and this fab forum to help

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Dangerkitty
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  19:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's currently on one fluff a week. though he has only been fed once with us which he regurged. We have found a nice wood viv complete set up for £129 which we will be buying next week. then we will have him in a good home. He seems to be settling in nicely, we found him wound round one of the branches earlier.
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  03:44:23  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
stop using the bulb immediately until it is thermostatted and guarded unless you want a potential cooked snake

also i suggest using a digital thermometre

when snakes moved into new homes, they should be left alone for 7 days with no feeding or handling, and oly time to go in is to spot check and change daily water

the regurge will most likely AND incorrect temps

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000