Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  19:43:52  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi all

I know this isn't a reptile but I'm looking for some advice...

When we get more kitty litter in the next coupla days I'd like to try the clumping stuff, I was just wondering if any of you use it and find it easier to clean out than the non clumpy :)

Thx in advance

Scaly :)

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  19:57:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would steer clear of the clumping stuff as it tends to stick to there paws and it the ingest it you can imagine what happens in the kittys tummy, before we had a cat flap we used the wood pellets from the range, it used to cost about 9 pounds for a sack. other people have used the clumping litter with no problems. xx

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  20:01:53  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
okies, tbh if it makes cleaning easier we can always get him a little mat to get any off his ickle paws, and the stuff we got makes it rlly hard to clean any wet stuff out without taking loadsa clean stuff out too :P

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  20:07:34  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Scaly, they're usually clay based so it does clump but the clumps are very sticky and tend to stick to the litter tray which makes scraping them out quite messy it's also very dusty when dry and unless you have a covered tray it'll end up all over the floor. When the kitties use the tray if their feet get wet the little lumps of litter stick to their feet and get walked over the floor as well. The best one i've found is the pine pellets as there's no dust and no mucky footprints, it's compressed pine sawdust and when the kitties wee the pellets absorb it all and swell up and convert back to sawdust they absorb the smell as well. I think you can also get the pelleted paper as well but I've never tried that.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  21:24:53  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use the cheapy cat litter i just dont see the point in spending lots on stuff for the cats to poop in lol ive tried them on the recycled paper based litters and the wood pellets in the past and they didnt like it too much so went back to the el cheapo type my mum swears by the white crystal type cat litter that clumps and changes colour when its dirty but my cats refused to use that lol

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  22:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use sainsburys value stuff for out cats, works fine.
Mum tried wood pellets a while back, and they refused to use it, pooping elsewheere. Stuck them back on the cheap stuff and they were fine.
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  23:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my cats won't use litter at all now, think it must be 8 years or more since they used a tray, they always go outside. I recently had to keep one in because he had an infection so put a tray out, he held on for more than 24 hours and point blank refused to use the tray, for his own comfort i had to open the flap for him to go toilet, can't have been good for him holding on that long. When they did use a tray i tried both the wood pellets and the cheapy stuff, i liked the wood pellets as there was less waste but was a b**g*r to clean out but found it smelt less than the cheapy stuff.

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  01:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just use tesco value

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  08:23:29  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
None, I kick all 4 cats ****s into the garden where they go in next doors bushes or trees and do their business! Can't get them to use a litter box at all. WE used to use like grey cheap cat litter, that clumped well I think XD

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  11:18:58  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My cats are flat cats they dont go out they were rescued at a very young age and were very sick after i got them well i started taking them out into the garden supervised but they really didnt like it at all so they are more than happy to stay indoors hades is very fussy about the cleanliess of his litter tray and once hes done his buisness wont use it again till its clean lol

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  15:33:31  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
might give the clumpies a go once, cos everyone has different opinions ;)
Found out today that Angus is going to be staying with us :)
So chuffed, can't stop smiling :)

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  18:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you have a new addition to your family

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  18:27:32  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He's soooooooo cute, he behaved stupidly well at the vets! didnt get outta his box :P
Gotta take him back nxt week to take away his manliness, the vets gave us a free cat box lol

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  21:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use Tesco value or Asda Smartprice cat litter. It does stick to the bottom of the litter tray but we use a wallpaper scraper to remove it from the tray and not had it sticking to their paws. We have in the past tried paper litter, wood pellets and shavings but one of our girls is a very large lady, alot bigger than most, weighs 14 lb and is NOT fat. The litter tray use to tip over when we had litter in it that had no weight to it. Not pleseant for us or the paw cat.
Have you posted a pic of Angus yet?

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  07:09:00  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used the clumping stuff once. It's a right pain.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  14:04:45  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
okies will stick to this one then :P

Red, theres a coupla piccies of him at the end of this post :)
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21677

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  15:42:19  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
changed to this stuff today...

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/cat-litter+trays/wilko-wood-based-cat-litter-15ltr/invt/0070462/?htxt=4feeykGPBOuP%2BxCR37Z0%2B8jDwNWecMG93hjcdyD5fPrqSCuq1kOnjTvEVCayqQm8zVqFpHQ%2B%2B77X%0AfCbHygh28A%3D%3D

His other litter must have been dirtier than it looked as he pooed in the bath this morning mind you if he's gonna go outside his litter thats not too bad a place really

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  10:50:58  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This stuff is awesome!! no smell at all!

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  14:39:38  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Does it not smell of pine, I know when I used stuff like that it used to pong of a small forest lol.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  16:02:03  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used the cheap Asda stuff. My cat Dex was only using it for a month (although, he did have to use a tray for 6 weeks last year, he got run over and had his pelvis broken in 3 places); he now has a catflap.

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  16:47:35  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Does it not smell of pine, I know when I used stuff like that it used to pong of a small forest lol.

Doesnt reek, just keeps the smell of cat pee away :)

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly