New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emilyoblong
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  15:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay so I have recently aquired my very own Corn Snake. He's gorgeous. I got him from some friends who didn't really handle him much and didn't really know much about snakes, so he's not been living under the greatest conditions for the last 4 years, and they wanted to give him to someone who would take care of him properly.

I've had him for about 2 weeks now, He's about 4 years old, so I am told, and about 4 feet long. He's about 3 inches thick around his middle. He's in an exo-terra tank, but I'm not sure how big. He has a heat pad and a UV bulb, a hide, a rock, a tree branch and a plant for climbing. I give him clean water every day and feed him a mouse once a week. I've cleaned his cage fully, once he'd settled in, completely changed all substrate, cleaned the tank all over with vinegar and hot water (very very weak vinegar). He takes food from me no problem and excretes healthily and regularly (about 2 days after feeding) have had no regurge problems or sickness. We get on great and he loves being handled. I recently changed his tank layout around and he's been having lots of fun exploring.

He shed just before I took him in, about two weeks ago, it came off in one go except for on the top of his head, and I took that off after a couple of days using a wet paper towel. He had no objections to this either. He's a very active little thing, and is about 50/50 on exploring his tank and just chilling.

I have noticed though, occasionally when I'm handling him, sometimes as he's just moving along and sometimes if I touch him, he, judders as if he's hiccuping or coughing, it's really really weird. It doesn't happen always, just randomly. I'm really worried he's got some sort of epilepsy-like problem, if thats even possible? It's kind of like a fit but it happens for about 2-3 seconds and then stops.

Any ideas on whats wrong with him? I'm really worried! Other than this he's fine.

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  18:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you could rehome him! I'd say ditch the UV bulb and make sure theres a thermostat attatched to the heatmat though :)

As for the juddering, is he sorta twitching like he's shrugging? Sounds odd, but when I prod my adult when he's in his viv, he chucks the bit I'm touching up into the air and keeps doing that till I stop or he gets bored.
Go to Top of Page

emilyoblong
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  18:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay cool thank you. I have been monitoring his temperature closely and all is okay so far but yes i think I need a thermostat, thank you :)

Yeah its kind of from just below his neck upwards, and its kind of like he's shaking, kind of like a twitch. He doesn't move the bit I'm touching. It doesn't matter where I touch him, his head kind of, vibrates... It's dead weird. And it only happens like 1/10 times I touch him. It's kind of like a shudder/cringe haha. :S

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  18:52:47  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Judders are normal, mine do that in their viv as well :P They kinda slither about twitching for 5/10 mins. I actually have it happen a fair bit after snakes have been fed as well.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

emilyoblong
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  21:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh thank god for that, thats good to know! Thank you :) XxxX

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  23:41:35  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perfect normal, when I touch mine on their side, although they don't rattle, I can feel them vibrating.

Also I suggest that you turn off the heat mat, and place viv in a warm room until you get a thermostat and digital thermometre, as heat mats can overheat and burn the snakes, just osme friendly advice :)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  01:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser85

Also I suggest that you turn off the heat mat, and place viv in a warm room until you get a thermostat and digital thermometre, as heat mats can overheat and burn the snakes, just osme friendly advice :)

Seconded, the stat is such an important and cheap piece of kit essential for the safety of your snake around heat sources.

Well done for taking him on, its good he found a good home and I'm sure you'll have a house full of snakes in no time as it seems to just happen once you get one. Good luck sorting out the minor tweeks that are needed and any questions just ask, no such thing as a silly question.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

emilyoblong
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  13:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay awesome thank you guys! It's good to know it's not just mine hahaha! What a relief. He's chilling around my neck now as I type! I have a thermometer on the way in the post and am looking at thermo stats now :) Thank you XxxX

Go to Top of Page

burton2236
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  23:53:09  Show Profile  Click to see burton2236's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
so where can i get a thermstat from???? the ones ive looked at are around 80 quid
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  23:59:25  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ive just looked on ebay theres about 5/6 of my ones(the ones on my incubators) on there. the dearest is 25.

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  00:42:24  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Surrey Pet Supplies are about the cheapest online. £19 + P&P. Remember you will need a Digital Thermometer as well. £5

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/habistat-mat-stat-thermostat-100w.html

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/lucky-reptile-thermometer-deluxe-lth-31.html

These are the ones I have and had no problems.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  00:43:30  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
habistat thermostats for heat mats are about £25- £30 depending where you go - obviously ebay may be cheaper

the pluse stat will be more - this one reads the temp and send pulses to keep the heat mat from dropping too much, and therefore more accurate

then you got day and night versions - for those who use a drop in temp at night,

many others, but you just need the habistat mat stat,

quote:
Originally posted by burton2236

so where can i get a thermstat from???? the ones ive looked at are around 80 quid

Go to Top of Page

burton2236
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  00:53:00  Show Profile  Click to see burton2236's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
can i use all these for breeding??? i went to sea pets and they said you dont need them and i through yes ok your talking out of you b*m
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  15:28:29  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not to sure on the incubation side of things as this isn't my field

But I would say if you are using a bulb, then you'll need a habistat dimming thermostat, and not a mat stat

And digital thermometres are still needed

And I don't know why places advise thermostats are not needed, I hate to see what their reptiles look like, perhaps medium to well done cooked - infuriates me
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  15:30:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can incuc=bate eggs with them, pulses are better but why the hell would you want to breed?

Go to Top of Page

ChocoCoatedLemons
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2012 :  22:46:21  Show Profile  Click to see ChocoCoatedLemons's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

You can incuc=bate eggs with them, pulses are better but why the hell would you want to breed?

To sell, possibly? Or maybe they're interested in combina
ations of morphs etc...
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  10:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Breeding isn't something to be taken lightly though,which is what Sta~ple is getting at. Theres the issue of the female getting eggbound which could end up in vet costs which won't be cheap,and at worst death. Hatchies with any serious issues have to be taken in consideration,plus not being able to sell a lot of the hatchies. Some people are really struggling to sell their hatchies (even at £10) especially if normals etc as there just isn't the demand so then you have to think of all the extra mouths you've got to feed over a period of time. in turn this can lead to you being out of pocket.
It sounds a nice idea,and its something I may do in a few years if I feel I have the time,money and room for the hatchies,but its not a decision to take lightly.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  11:34:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

Some people are really struggling to sell their hatchies (even at £10) especially if normals etc as there just isn't the demand so then you have to think of all the extra mouths you've got to feed over a period of time.

This is exactly what I meant :( Like unless you got someone thing worth breeding I just wouldn't bother, there are already a ton of normals/amels/anerys/snows out there. I've sold and I've seen normals being sold for £5 and even then, people don't want them.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000