New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  00:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when my two are ready to move up to their bigger viv's (over a year away) i will want to fill them with more snakeys, my OH wants a platinum or charchol corn and i cannot decided between a hognose or a mexican black kingsnake? and pros and cons?

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  00:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to go against everything I've ever said and say a hoggie. I love MBK's but the hoggie just seems like a more interesting snake even if they look like they've been hit in the mush with an iron.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  00:19:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hooggies are so cute, and very interesting. but MBK's are so slick and cool. ooohhhh eeeeekkkkk i have so many animals i nearly bought 2 ferrets today!

Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  00:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both got attitude, only hoggies are smaller and are more likely to just headbutt and hiss a lot, where as a King would rather wrestle your hand tooth and scale.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  01:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

no point in waiting for the inevitable get them both now save wasting time later :D

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  02:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duh, HOGGIE!!! Why only nearly with the loopies? mine just had a bath 10 mins later went under sink where there is a gap, came out with black paws and nose

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes

Edited by - scottishbluebird on 23/01/2012 02:20:46
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  19:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i thinks its going to be a hoggie, i cant find anywhere remotley near me where i can get a MBK i looked at two hoggies today, both very active and about 9 inches long, very cute. one was brown and one was black (markings)

as for the ferrets, i dont have the room! my flat is teeny weeny and we share a garden i dont think the neighbours will relish in the fact that there would be ferrets downstairs. and they are a tab smelly, and the cats would eat them and they would eat the rabbits.......this is me trying to talk myself out of it.

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  01:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah they stink a bit! but so worth the laughs and cuddles! great choice on the hoggie!!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  09:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on deciding to get a hoggie.....it gives you extra time to find an MBK too.
Both are known for fiesty moments.
Hoggies are cute fat sausage snakes,feel totally different to a corn due to their keeled scales and the fact that they move differently.
My hoggie used to put the most entertaining threat displays going. Thats stopped now (which I'm kinda gutted about) but she's a brill snake,happy to sit in your hand and just chill out,everyone thats met her has been smitten with her.
MBK's are gorgeous sexy beasts,luurve their food but are a few sandwiches short of a picnic lol.
My MBK has been hanging off plants,striking at the viv glass etc because he dropped his mouse and couldn't find it again.....Doh! He also a one for hissing at things in his viv if they get in his way.When out he's fantastic,cuddly and the only snake that'll have his head stroked bless him.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  09:55:25  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im shocked i thought everyone would root for the MBK Hoggies are cute though i can see the appeal i love oddballs and hoggies are definately oddballs my vote goes for the MBK though awesome looking beasties

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  10:42:46  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hoggie. They are really cute, have lots of character and don't take up much space. You have to be prepared for them refusing food and having personality changes on a regular basis. Mine are normally really chilled but are going through a spell of hissing and headbutting. It really is entertaining. I don't have an MBK but I do have a Cali King and he is quite a disappointment, no strops, hisses strikes etc. Doesnt even strike at his food. The only kinglike behaviour he does have is the tendancy to rearrange his viv

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  18:30:53  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you want a lap snake, you should get a MBK. Mine despite the past few months not really being interested in food has started acting like a monster again. He gets all hissy sometimes at stuff in his viv or things that come in my room that get too close he doesn't like for any reason (sister, mum and cats)He occasional bites himself when he falls off his plants and hisses or bites himself when theres food about. and also loves to decorate and re arrange his viv but he is such a joy to handle! So calm, will just kinda sit there and let you stoke his head or chin XD

I think a few people have struggled to find MBK, maybe get a hoggie now and in june/july I'm sure their will be MBK hatchies about :p

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  18:34:57  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I like the reddish coloured hoggies :D

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly