New Snake- sleeping and feeding!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Helsbels
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  19:07:27  Show Profile  Click to see Helsbels's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi there, I got my first corn today and he is gorgeous, seems in good condition and handles well. He is almost 6 months old. I have 2 small concerns; the first is that Felix has chosen to sleep outside of his hide. Infact, he hasn't been in either hide at all, as far as I have noticed. Is this behaviour normal? I know it's great that he is hanging out where I can see him, but I had read that they normally need to hide away and settle in a new home. My second question is about feeding. The guy in the shop where I bought him said he eats 1 pinkie every 3-4 days. I would have thought he should be having 2 pinkies once every 7 days, from what I have read? I would appreciate your feedback on this, because I don't want to over/under feed him. Thank you xx

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  19:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Another Felix eh!

Since you just got him today, leave him to settle for a few days without feeding or handling.
His hides may be too big or too small which may be why he isnt hiding (they like to be nice and snug!), or you may just have an odd snake; despite having several hides my Sparrow insists on spending most of her time just sat on her log!
Check your temperatures too; if its much too hot or too cold in the hides, Felix might not want to be in there.

Feeding is more or a personal choice; at six months old though i would have thought that once a week on double pinks or even fuzzies (depending on his size) would be ok! Even baby snakes can go for a long while without food, so dont worry about not feeding him for a few days in his settling in period
Go to Top of Page

Helsbels
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  19:56:32  Show Profile  Click to see Helsbels's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your reply, it's reassuring. I got the smallest coconut hides I could find. The temperature is 25.8c on one end and 21.2c on the other end. I'll see what he's doing tomorrow. I'm hoping he's just quite bold, he had a very good nosey around when he moved in. I won't disturb him until next week anyhow.Thanks!

ps I wish I'd spent a bit more time thinking of a name!
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  20:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure where your temp probe is situated but 25.8 is a little low, should be looking at 28/29

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Helsbels
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  11:29:08  Show Profile  Click to see Helsbels's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the advice, I'll get it turned up a bit. The probe is attached to the glass wall, just above the subtrate on the warm side. I saw he was alseep inside his hide on the cooler side this morning, so no worries there. I think I'm just lucky enough to have a very bold snake; he always comes out to say hello when I walk past!
Go to Top of Page

Helsbels
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  11:31:47  Show Profile  Click to see Helsbels's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Also Mick, your snakes are gorgeous.... next year when Felix has progressed up to a 3ft Viv, I'd like to get another young corn. What kind of morph are Jessica and Crystal? Are they Okeetees? :)
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  11:40:03  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on your new addition.

You want to put the thermometer probe on the floor of the tank directly above the heat mat, under the substrate (there should only be a very light sprinkling of substrate over the heat mat anyway). Heat mats don't really affect the air temperature, they heat by contact, so having the thermometer probe attached to the glass wall won't show you the correct temperature of the warm side.

Look forward to seeing pics of your new snakey.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Helsbels
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  13:20:49  Show Profile  Click to see Helsbels's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you! Glad you have sorted that one out. I'll change the probe position as soon as I get home. I'm sure there will be lots of pics to follow!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000