Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  21:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
since crystal took her last feed.

She's 6 months old, lives in a med faun with 3 hides some foliage, heat mat with stat and thermometer. Warm end temp 28 -29. She last fed 1 pinky on the 21st November and weighed 21g. I've offered 1 pinky approx every 5-7 days since and she's refused every one, i've brained, completely split the pinky open, dipped in tuna brine, heated, unheated but to no avail.

We're not handling her at the moment unless cleaning (which she doesn't really need since she hasn't fed) or changing water if she's in the way or to weigh her (which i've done 3 times since she stopped feeding). She now weighs 18g so has lost 3g in weight. She shed on the 1st Jan a complete shed.

As she's starting to lose weight at what point do i start to worry, she's quite active at times too.

ta muchly

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  22:12:17  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you tried leaving her food on some kitchen roll in the faun overnight?

Or a little dab of marmite on the mouses head?

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  23:35:58  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have you tried taking her for a car ride before feeding. Supposed to have worked for some people. Or withdrawing water for a few days and then feeding the mousy soakin wet

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  06:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last nights pinky is still there - I've left the pinky in overnight - but take out in the morning as you can see it starting to darken and discolour. I've been and bought more pinkys in the hope the other's could have been a bad batch, don't think they were but was incase anything put her off.

I haven't tried marmite - its not something we buy as we don't like it.

I havne't takent the water away - but am not keen on withdrawing the water supply for her, might try the car ride when her next feed would be due.

She wasn't bought as a non feeder - i bought her in september she'd refused her 1st 2 feeds following hatching but then took 7 consecutive feeds she's then taken 11 feeds with me and refused 1 when she was in shed.

LillyCrystalHarry

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  09:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you offered the pinky straight from a bowl of quite warm water so its really wet? I use to have to feed John like this it was the only way he would eat. I use to have to drag the pinky about in fron of him. Eventually I would stop and he would rest his nose on it, I would then have to move it very slightly so it moved his nose he would then carfully eat it. Don't know if you have tried it but if not might be worth a go. Oh and he would only eat if left in his own faunarium with all hides removed.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  13:04:12  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dark, warm, quite place where no one is going to walk past and peek on her for hours in a small cleaned marg tub with nothing but pinky. Them thinking someone is there and people keep checking to seem if they have eaten puts them off.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

smiffy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  18:35:26  Show Profile  Click to see smiffy89's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dancross0

Have you tried leaving her food on some kitchen roll in the faun overnight?

Or a little dab of marmite on the mouses head?

marmite?!?!?!?!
never heard this 1 has it worked for non feeders?
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2012 :  20:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sta~ple has hit that nail on the head. small box. keep warm and dark, leave for a few hours with nowhere to go but where the mouse is.

Don't worry though there are other options you can try its not a lost cause, these squiggly beasts are sent to try us some times.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  10:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try the tiny box next feed, i wasn't too concerned to start with but now she's starting to lose weight it starting, i'm trying to keep my 11 year old calm but she's really worried she want's me to take her to some experienced to 'force' feed her as i wouldn't be confident enough.

LillyCrystalHarry

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  10:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tiny box thing can work great. May be worth braining the pink you put in there too.
When you've been placing the pink in her home with her have you seen her take any interest at all? The only reason I ask is because Ollivander stopped feeding for me a couple of months back for about a month (worrying as he was only 8 grams to bein with!)
He'd always been drop fed in his enclosure with no issues. Just as I was at the point of getting really worried I did th usual,popped the pink in and noticed he came straight over to it. Left him alone feeling more hopeful,then checked in the morning and it was still there! Picked the pink up and his head shot out of his hide,so thinking I had nowt to lose I wiggled the pink about and BAM he was on it! For some reason he won't be drop fed anymore,he likes his food to look alive. He's fed everytime since.

Good luck with the next feed,hope she takes it.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  11:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she does come over and sniff the pink and around it, but if i wiggle it in the forceps for her she backs off and isn't interested anymore, when feeding previously sometimes she would like a little wiggle of the pink other times for it to be just left in her faun, i'll try the small tub and a brained pink - i possibly might be able to get hold of a live pink to try her with if that fails. Think i would rather try a live pink than force feeding - keep that as a last resort. I don't want to get into the whole live feeding debate here.

LillyCrystalHarry

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  19:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well - its now been 9 half weeks since crystal last fed. She still weighs 18g so hasn't lost anymore weight. I had moved her into the bigger faun as per my post http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21085&SearchTerms=half as she was destroying the smaller faun on a daily basis and rearranging her furniture. (She had stopped feeding prior to moving her) as she is still not feeding i've moved her back into the smaller faun, in the hope she'll start to feed. I've double checked temps and triple checked, she has water, i've brained, completely split the pinky, put her in a small tub, taken her for a drive, scented pinky with tuna brine.

Unfortunately i haven't been able to get the live pinky, the lad i know hasn't got mice anymore. Hope she feeds soon

LillyCrystalHarry

Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  20:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know you must be very concerned but as the weight loss is just 3 grams in almost 10 weeks I think she will eat when she's ready, certainly hope so.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)

Edited by - Okeetee Mick on 27/01/2012 20:23:11
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  10:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, no advice, just wanted to say I hope she feeds for you soon, it must be so worrying x

Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  13:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our cola didn't eat for a while so I tried putting her in a feeding box with a pinky and covered the pinky with a hide. She goes in the hide with the pinky and anywhere form ten mins to an hour later the pinky is gone. I put the box on a chair and cover the top so it's quite dark then turn the room light off. This has worked every time. I check to see when first one is gone then offer second which as she is in feeding mode she takes from tongs. I know it's worrying but try not to and hope Crystal eats soon.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  18:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get a frozen chick, pull off its leg, and cut off the thigh part. Leave it to defrost, warm it up (I wrap in tin foil and put on the radiator), pull off the skin, then put it in the enclosure and leave it. If you want you can wrap a pinkie up with the thigh as well to get the scent all over it, and try that first. If she doesn't take it, then try the chick thigh.

WARNING- chick thigh is sticky, so feed off some paper or a dish if you want to.

This method has not failed me yet- in fact the first meal my 2 non-feeders ever had (at the age of 5 months) was chick thigh- and both ate it first time. Well worth a go.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  18:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks sexybear, i'll give that one a go, just to try and source a frozen chick tomorrow.

Thanks tk, i've tried the keeping her covered and the last pinky was inside the hide, she went in there with it (a coconut hide) but didn't eat it, she's interested keeps smelling the pinky and the blood, i've even put some of the pinky juices on her mouth so she gets the taste, still not worked. Think i'll try and give the chick trick a go.

LillyCrystalHarry

Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  21:03:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck. Hope it works out.
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  00:05:19  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
make sure the food offerings are about 7 days apart, as constantly trying to feed them can also stress them sending it into a poisonous circle of not feeding, getting stressed, and therefore not wanting to feed , making more stressed etc etc etc

it also can be down to breeding time of year,
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  00:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she's only being offered every 5 days, didn't think breeding season would affect a hatchy seen as they're not big enough to breed. She's a CB10 from June, i'm not bothered that she's small or taking her time growing, suppose she's being a typical woman and putting her foot down, lol (she was popped as a female when i bought her) All i can do is keep trying and hope she'll feed when she's ready

LillyCrystalHarry

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  00:21:01  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
shes not a hatchy then, because a CB10 hatchling would make her 1 year 6 months, unless you meant CB11.

Try every 7 days,
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000