Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  21:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,

Just had Rosie out and grabbed Annie at the same time to put her back in her viv. They have never met despite both being housed in adjoining vivs. I noticed that Annie started twitching as soon as she picked up the scent of Rosie.

Now don't let the names or the fact that I refer to them as female judge your opinion on this behaviour. I don't know the sex. I never plan on cohabiting or breeding so never really bothered to get them sexed. I just referred to them as female as they were both a little moody when I fist brought them home and I am used to most moody things in life being of the female persuasion.

Do you think that this twitching is due to the fact that they were nervous of another snake or is it more a mating response?

Any opinions on this would as always be most appreciated.

Thanks

Stu

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  21:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed this when my corn first came into close proximity with a male corn. She wasn't happily sliding through my fingers but really scenting the air and her head was following every moment my hand made/ my friend made as he held the male. At first I didn't notice because I was in conversation at our society but when I did notice I knew straighta way this was odd behaviour for her. Usually she'd only show this behaviour on feeding day when she is placed into the seperate rub for feeding.

But seeing as they live next door, I think they'd pick up each others scent in the air. I'm not sure, but maybe just seeing one another could have been what started it.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  22:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuart619

Hi Guys,

Now don't let the names or the fact that I refer to them as female judge your opinion on this behaviour. I don't know the sex. I never plan on cohabiting or breeding so never really bothered to get them sexed. I just referred to them as female as they were both a little moody when I fist brought them home and I am used to most moody things in life being of the female persuasion.

Thanks

Stu

Errr excuse me? lol

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  23:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I've seen in my limited exposure to mating patterns and rituals, it sounds like a mating response. My females have all done it when males are introduced/ put in close proximity... More experienced breeders may be able to confirm for me?

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  08:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottishbluebird

quote:
Originally posted by stuart619

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Stu

Errr excuse me? lol

hahaha

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  10:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a touch of randyitis. I'm betting the really moody one is the male!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000