Aggressive corn snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yoshi
Snake Mite

7 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  20:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I am new to snakes after keeping bearded dragons .got my first one 8 days ago after seeing and handling him every couple of days since before Xmas and was fine since bringing him home he strikes at the glass if I look at him in his viv & if try to handle him he strikes & bites any ideas what I am doing wrong he was left alone for 5days to settle and. Has eaten once heat is as you recomend and he is active and out climbing quite a bit thanks

Ryan_q8
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  21:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although probably not the most experienced owner would suggest u let him/her settle in for longer try even 2 weeks just ensure water and food are changed.
Reaction most likely due to fear good sign not comfortable.
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  21:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More info would help, age, viv size and setup etc.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Yoshi
Snake Mite

7 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  22:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks he's seven months old in a two foot viv (what he was in before ) temps are correct hot end / cool.end has hide in wam end heat mat thermostatically controlled
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  19:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Setup seems fine, all I would suggest is hides in both ends, plenty of foliage ( I along with many others use ivy from Dumelm Mill) and lots and lots of handling. Sure he will settle down in time.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Yoshi
Snake Mite

7 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  19:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks I have the two hides branches for climbing but no foliage he has stopped striking the glass today he let me handle him for about ten minutes so hopefully he is settling in thank for hints
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  21:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you could use the old trick of a sock in the pocket, put a clean sock in your pocket for the day and then put in the viv, it just helps the snake to get used to your smell for when you go in to change water etc

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  10:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

you could use the old trick of a sock in the pocket, put a clean sock in your pocket for the day and then put in the viv, it just helps the snake to get used to your smell for when you go in to change water etc

I would definitely agree with this. This helped me out.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Elicia
Hatchling

222 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2012 :  14:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello
I got my first Corn a couple of weeks ago and he kept hissing and striking at us even when we went to change water. Somebody on here advised me on the 'sock trick' which turned out to be the best advice ive had so far!What I did was got a cheap pair of gloves, I wore one and so did my partner for a couple of hours then we put one in each hide. The change happened overnight!Percy is now as calm as anything and sleeps tucked up in the gloves!
Elicia

Normal Corn-Percy
Speckled King-Bumblebee
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000