Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

purplehay1978
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  13:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all,
I'm just wondering how often cornsnakes shed? I've had George now about 2months..he's just started going dull and his eyes glazed over...I panicked when I first saw that tbh! Then I read on here that it was normal! So how long does it take? And do I leave him be now? Not touch him etc?

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  14:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He should go 'blue' which means dull and cloudy eyed for a time (a week ish?) and then clear for a few days, then he will/should shed. I still handle mine when they are in blue, but not when they go clear, I don't want to mess with their shedding. But when they go blue, they tend to be grumpy because they can see even less than normal. You might want to spray the viv with water to up the humidity, just so its easier for him to shed. You don't have to, but sometimes it helps. And if he gets stuck in his shed or has problems where it doesn't come off in one piece, try giving him a warm bath, and it will be easier to come off.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  22:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A snake that has cloudy eyes is pretty much blind and this and the shed process itself is stressful, I personally would just leave the poor thing alone to its own misery, its only a week or so without handling it won't kill you.

Spraying a corns enclosure is not required/overkill. A damp face cloth draped over one of the hides or damp moss inside one of the hides if you know your house is dry (when you have the heating on the air in the house will dry out) will be enough to get a good shed but most will shed without any issues without any additional humidity. I do sling a damp cloth over the hot side hide though as a precaution.

Bathing your snake is a last resort, moss boxes, damp cloths and 20 minutes in a damp pillowcase are all better options than a bath which I would only use to drown mites or to treat a quite badly retained shed when all other options have failed. Sticking them in water can be a bit stressful for them.

A good early sign a shed is on the way is their belly goes milky, you'll also notice a change in their behaviour, hiding away, you might even catch them in their water bowl too, or an empty bowl and a pile of soaked substrate round it (them taking a dip is also a sign it may be too dry in there). Best thing to do is sit back and keep one eye on them at all times and you might just catch the shed as it happens but most likely he'll do it when you are not watching.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 29/12/2011 22:52:16
Go to Top of Page

purplehay1978
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  23:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that was so helpful thank you so much. This is my first experience of a snake and although it wasn't something I planned I've become incredibly attached to him and want to do what's best! Thanks again. This website is fantastic!
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  01:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When he does shed, just make sure the tail tip and eye caps are there on the shed

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page