Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Corn
 Other Reptiles and Exotics
 Boa questions. Also Laws - PLEASE ANSWER!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  18:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the caps, thought it would get some attention. If you on laws, I could really use you help. All I want to know is how much are sunglow boas are going for?? Could you tell me a little about boa care?? And would I be better of getting a dwarf because I preferre there size, and are they more exspensive??

Any one with a BCI, could you give me abit of info?? And just in general, what sort of snakes are they, if that make sense?? Anyone got any good stories of there BCI??

1.0.0 corn snake - Flicka
1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  19:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a hog island boa, part of the dwarf species, and most hogs are expected to reach around the 5ft mark. these are the bigger dwarfs, as you can get others that are even smaller, like vera cruz and crawl cay boas they get to about 3-4ft max.
it all depends on what you want, and how much room you have.
a normal bci boa, will need a bigger cage depending on sex, females needing about a 6ft viv, and males around a 4ft cage minimum.
my hog island female will be going into a 4ftx2ftx2ft viv when she is older and this will do her good for the whole of her life.
a vera cruz or crawl cay could lie happily in a 3ft viv all its life.
they are very nice snakes, and are very intelligent. they are easy to look after really, as long as you get all the temps correct like any other snake.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  19:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey huni :) right then boas! where to start..
Dwarf boas are fab snakes , there are a few localities u can get and all are alittle different size wise . Firstly Nicaragua boas , theres are true dwarfs quite dark in colour but then u can get some new fancy morphs such as Hypo, Anery Type I & II, Motley, and T+ . They reach around 5 foot give or take and are readily available .

Next u have sonoran boas , these get a little bigger i think around the 5- 6 mark with females being slightly bigger , they can also come in different morphs and are readily available . Both the above boas are commonly called CA dwarf boas .

You got your Crawl cay dwarfs , i had one of these and he was gorgeous . They come in 2 or three moprhs from normal (however they do the colours change throughout the day from dark to very pale ) hypo , and pink fire .they are more slender bodied and reach around 5- 5.5 feet . probably the one i would reccomend as a starter boa .

Hog island boas are classed as dwarfs , however they do have the potential to reach 8 foot and many people can be miss guided that they will stay small . these are lovely boas that have extreme colour changes from light to dark and come in some nice morphs too .

thats all the dwarfs that are readily available to us in the uk , there are some more that are fairly rare and availability can be limited and generally if they are available can cost a fair bit .

However my experience with boas , i found that once i had got used to handling them , size isnt as much of an issue as i had first thought . i brought Lexi who was classed as a dwarf however i later found out from the breeder she wasnt , Shes now 4 foot if not abit bigger and has some growing to do and now i kno how to handle her and am used to the strength ( one of the BIG differences u will notice from royal and corns) . Since i have got a hypo motley and the sunglow , both of which could top out at between 6-9 foot . Most people said to me when u buy hatchling boa u dont notice how big they are getting as they grow with you . And there is the whole sensible feeding routine . Boas especially normal bci's grow depending on genetics , locality and food source . If u power fed a baby boa it could reach 4-5 foot in a year (not reccomended ) so if u set a nice steady feeding routine , they are fab .
Babies are known for being slightly snappy , which they generally grow out of with regular handling . dwarfs are sometimes known for getting "little man " sydrome making them more grumpy but again can grow out of it . All boas are generally very laid back , very strong and for the most part food orientated ! They are fun to handle (obv if u got a 9ft boa , they are harder to manage and can knacker a strong bloke out !) , but as long as u are careful and respectful when handling and at food time they are fantastic .
Growth wise , they do most of their growing in the first 2 years and then it slows down so feed once a week until they are around 4 foot and then every 10-14 on appropriate sized food.
Care easy enough , warm end basking temp needs to be around 85-92F (29-33c) remainder of the enclosure at an ambient of low 80's (27-29c) and humidity around 50-60% . You can keep them in rubs , or vivs , and ive found they are generally not a stressy snake so you can get away with a full sized viv early on as long as its packed out well . And the general rule of thumb applies say you have a 6ft boa you want ur enclosure to be a minimum of 4x2x2 and for larger u want 6x2x2 .

Price ranges vary greatly on locality , morph and how readily available they are . Crawl cay dwarfs start at around £100-150 from a breeder , if you buy from classifieds u can get them for £70-100 and for the morphs your looking at £300 .
The other dwarfs vary greatly but i would say from about £80 and upwards .

Common bci's you can get for as little as £35 and as expensive and £2000 pounds and up. Sunglows at the moment go for around £420 minimum and can go upto £700 if they are really nicely patterned , however that could fall next season as most of the market goes up and down due to demand .

Hope this helps a little , boas are fab snakes and dont be put off by the size of normal bci's providing you have adequate room to house them and confidence and respect with aspects of care and handling you will be fine :)

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  19:51:12  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Join the sister site, the rainbow boa forum. Tells ya all about boa care xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  19:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really love the craw cays, how easy are they to find?? And how expensive? I really cant have anything too big even if I wanted. 6ft is prob the biggest id want, and I was seriously considering a BRB, I think there amazing!! But the only thing I was concerned about was the humidaty. Then I was thinking of blood pythons, but herd they were quite nippy. Im fine with nippy really, iv been taged before, do you know how big they get? Not to keen on roasy boas, or sand boas. Got any suggestions?? Id like something different to what I have, but if I cant find anything I like, I think I might go ahead and pick up that £800 royal.

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  20:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But im not even thinking about getting another snake untill after I go on holiday, and thats not untill august. Im just looking at whats on the market lol. I never really liked boas, but there really starting to grow on me, but i still think im more of a python person.

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  20:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laws, what is bracks?? I quite like him, but i still really like the sunglow

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  20:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.gazboas.co.uk have a gander on there hes a well known crawl cay and dwarf boas breeder and has some fantastic boas :)

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  20:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our boa is biiiig. She's around the 6 or 7 foot mark now, still growing and strong as an ox! They're good fun provided you've enough room in your freezer for some bunny rabbits.

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2011 :  20:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Our boa is biiiig. She's around the 6 or 7 foot mark now, still growing and strong as an ox! They're good fun provided you've enough room in your freezer for some bunny rabbits.

Lol, im fine with that but I dunno about my mother. She's only just gotten over the corns pinkies after 4 months. She hasnt even seen my new royals medium mice, cant wait to see her freak lol but do boas have alot of peraonality?? My corn really does nothing, so I just dont find her very interesting. Where as iv only had the royal and he's already been so entertainig! Hes out every evning, climbing up t ij the light, but can never reach, then falls and has the cutest 'i didnt do anything' look lol. Are boas active? Have any of you found them to be really fun??

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  21:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fun to feed that's for sure!!! Active not so much. Most snakes that are settled and happy are the ones that are sat still doing not a lot, maybe the odd explore or out for a bask in the hot spot but all in all if you are looking for an active 'fun' animal buy a guinea pig and dye it pink (copyright, Guineapink).

I love my Boa because you just never know what mood she will be in until you put your hand in, she is a Hogg Island Boa and the dwarf types are more nippy/hissy/generally more unpredictable, she is a lot calmer these days unless food is involved then its get the riot shield because if it moves its a target, Sanke is only about 3 and a half feet long but she packs a punch, she still has some way to go too.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2011 :  23:31:55  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
like all snakes some have diffrent personality's,ive seen some boas hide all day and about all day :) there a great snake to have as long as you can commit to them everyday like any other animal there fairly straight forward :)

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  12:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Fun to feed that's for sure!!! Active not so much. Most snakes that are settled and happy are the ones that are sat still doing not a lot, maybe the odd explore or out for a bask in the hot spot but all in all if you are looking for an active 'fun' animal buy a guinea pig and dye it pink (copyright, Guineapink).

I love my Boa because you just never know what mood she will be in until you put your hand in, she is a Hogg Island Boa and the dwarf types are more nippy/hissy/generally more unpredictable, she is a lot calmer these days unless food is involved then its get the riot shield because if it moves its a target, Sanke is only about 3 and a half feet long but she packs a punch, she still has some way to go too.

No offense to any one how has one, but Im really not one for guinea pig, tbh - I hate the little things. There the least cute rodent by far

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  13:00:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boas are great lol. Especially if you buy a nippy baby, and expect taming him down to be easy.....
I have a male super hypo nicaraguan CB11 boa, named Nipper. I was expecting him to look like the sunglow boas, but he's actually pretty dark, speckly and has quite a lot of brown to red, this is normal because the locality is aparently pretty dark usually. His colours change from dark to light, but I'm not sure what they are based on, he'll be really light and this I can watch his head slowly getting darker- its strange.
As for personality, he is sometimes very sweet and will come out and play. Crawls EVERYWHERE but I have to watch him, because he can go from angel to devil in seconds! I'm getting more and more confident with him, having had my first blood-bite (pics soon!) from him, and it not hurting that much lol. He is quite active, especially in the evening and I assume at night. He tends to be in the top corner of the viv on a branch for most of the day, then come down, have a bit of a rampage for a bit (at this point he hates being disturbed) and then go into his warm hide for the night. In the morning I handle him, as he is usually sleepy and less likely to nip, and when I put him back, he goes into his top corner.
I've found him really interesting, but I have to say, my corns are more active. But then they are v.active, to him being just 'active' lol. He was bred by LegendBoas in Canada, and imported to their UK branch InvestmentMorphs. He was £200, and I actually found the thread he was for sale on!!! http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snake-classifieds/725333-central-american-dwarf-boa-localities.html But he is darker than that picture, and bigger lol.

I'M ANGRY lol:
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000