Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2011 :  18:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of you may remember my post regarding Echo having a bad shed a bit back. Things have gone from bad to worse since.
She didn't take her feed before going into shed,nowt unusual there as she doesn't normally feed in shed anyway. Since then she still hasn't taken a feed,tried her in her tub,in a small feeding tub,braining,scenting and different prey sizes and finally multi mammates to no avail. At first I put it down to the stress of the shed but it appears theres more to it.
During this time I've hardly handled her,checked her over last week and weighed her (she'd lost a little weight) her brother is almost double her weight now. However,this morning I decided to check on her and her vent looked swollen and her tail looked wavy rather than straight (I guess you could say kinked).
Been the vets and she's taken a faecal sample (will hopefully find out the results tomorrow). I now have to give her antibiotics and syringe feed her,felt so damn cruel shoving a tube down her.
At the mo I don't know whats wrong or if she'll be ok,she literally has me worried sick for her.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2011 :  18:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh hun so sorry , fingers crossed for ur little one :( and big hugs to u!

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2011 :  18:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou. Thats means a lot,in a bit of a mess over it if I'm honest.

0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2011 :  20:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its the worst thing in the world to be worrying over something so important, but you can only do what you can, think positive n take care x

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2011 :  20:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww Mort thats awful poor Echo. Fingers crossed its something minor (or nothing at all would be better). Keep us posted and I'm sure we'll all have our fingers crossed its all OK.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2011 :  20:20:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope everything goes ok xxx

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2011 :  20:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no!
Come on Echo, you can be ok!
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  00:26:49  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry.

I hope you find out what's wrong and Echo gets better soon.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  14:59:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope she gets better bless :(

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  15:42:54  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh no!! GET BETTER ECHO!!!!

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  18:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure the vet will do everything they can! I hope everything is okay Mort! You must keep us updated. Poor Echo! Thinking of you.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  18:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You had the results back yet? xxx

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  19:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about Echo Mort. Fingers crossed & hope she's better soon. I'd be same, worried sick. Thinking of u... x

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  21:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words everyone.
I got the results back early this afternoon and nothing has shown up. Vet said to take her back in a couple of weeks if theres no change for the better Things have however taken a turn for the worse,and I really think I'm losing her.
This is how I found her yesterday before taking her the vets:

Swollen vent:

This shows the kink in the tail:

This evening I saw her have what can only be described as a fit. Took her out to examine her,she wasn't moving about in a normal way (when she bothered moving that is) and her vents a lot worse:

I will be ringing the vets again tomorrow morning,but in the meantime I've included these photo's in the hope that someone may have seen this kind of thing before. I know I'm clutching at straws really but I've spent most of the last 2 days in tears.

1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  22:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh poor thing! It looks very sore indeed. I'd be in a state too, Mort.
I can only hope that all turns out okay and that the vet can help. It is so so worrying when reptiles turn for the worst.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  22:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know this is no healp now, but i think you need an Xray, it does look like there is some sort of impaction going on, and talking to Kate, she reckons the deformation of the tail could be down to vitamin and calcium deficiency.
I think the asnwer may lie in the xray, as much as i wish it wasnt the case, i dont think the outcome is going to be what we all want.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2011 :  23:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re reading a little, when you syringe feed, make sure she only has liquid, use critical care formula, it works really well, it also means that if there is something blocking her a little, the liquid can make its way past easily.
The sample the vet had, what was it like?? consistency wise? was it really stinky and runny, or fairly normal?? quality and quantity are the important bits, do you know what test the vets/labs did?? was it only a float test?? problem with that is that it doesnt pick up any kind of infection, only parasites, and even then its easy to miss!!

From your pics, it looks like the vent is quite swollen, ans has swollen more in a short space of time, or is that just the angle of the pic?
because, she goes from looking quite slim and consistent shape from body into tail, to there being quite a definite change in body angle, which would indicate some sort of blockage, be it an impaction, or possibly even a tumour, thats why you need an xray, to see whats going on inside.
Tumours can be removed quite easily, impactions can be sorted quite easily too, but its all time sensitive, and really, this isnt a good time of year!!!!

If you want to get hold of me, message me on the dreaded FB!!! i am there far more than i am here, and if i can help, i will!

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  00:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike,I was hoping you might se this. She's being fed the critical care formula through a tube (catheter for a cat). There wasn't really much to work on sample wise (the vet commented on this),she took it from her vent. It looked very similar to how it does on the last photo,don't know if you can make it out? The colour is quite green,I'm not sure on the consistency. I did notice an odour in her tub though. To be honest I'm not sure what the name of the tests were,my heads in the shed at the mo
She's mentioned peforming a cloacal wash and a cardiac blood test? if she doesn't improve in the next couple of weeks. This was before I witnessed the fit this evening.
Her vent has swollen that much in that space of time,its not the angle. The vet commented on her feeling squidgy (as if full of gas) in the area previous to her vent.
I'll be ringing the vets tomoz morning,if she's still alive and I suppose I'll have to see what they say. Hopefully I'll be able to get in and get an X'ray done. Like you say though,its a really bad time of year.

Thankyou,I appreciate that,and will message you on fb tomorrow. Off bed now.

1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  02:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So So sorry. I really am hoping for the best, but i dread your next post, ask one one of your kids to give you a hug from me. love Fiona xxx

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  08:50:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
big hugs from us to x

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2011 :  09:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya, it doesnt sound good, the fit tends to make me think it has neurological damage.
If the colour of the poo is green, then that would indicate a fairly serious systemic infection, or Gi infection. I really think the Xray will give you answers, or maybe an ultrasound.
What antibiotics are you on?? If snakey is on oral Baytril, change it, its a really good broad spectrum antibiotic, but its a little on the weak side for a serious infection.
If you see the vet today, ask him to take a swab of the cloaca, send it to the vetlab and get them to grow it, that will tell you if theres an infection, and also which antibiotic to treat with, but for now i would go go onto injectable marbocyl,, infact, i dont use anything but.
The vet doesnt need a sample of poo, just a sterile swab of the cloaca, inside a little, thats all.

I think the scan and swab are the next step.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000