Lurchers anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2011 :  17:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bit off topic, but lately I've been looking into lamping (rabbit hunting with a lamp) my bedlington x whippet.
Anyway, does anyone else own any lurchers? Pics please!!!

Kipper: english bull x greyhound (lost last January at less than a year old RIP )
When we found him,

A few months later, during his growth spurt,

Dillon: a Hanc0ck lurcher, 3/8 bearded collie 5/8 greyhound (RIP at 15yrs)

Basil: bedlington x whippet 1st cross, a year old a week ago

So if anyone else has any greyhound crosses, or whippet etc then please share them

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2011 :  17:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont have them ,but really cute

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2011 :  18:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lovely dogs

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2011 :  20:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sasha bout 3-4 year old? staffy x lurcher. absolutely mental not the best pic i have of her but the only good one on photobucket

Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  09:26:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cute doggies!!

Go to Top of Page

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  11:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Casta

Sasha bout 3-4 year old? staffy x lurcher. absolutely mental not the best pic i have of her but the only good one on photobucket

She's gorgeous! My friend has a staffy, she's very friendly
Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  12:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she was in the home for over a year and in the glasgow on for a while before that. got her when she was 2 and a half. shes lovely dog with a sweet nature. incredibly hyper when she wants to be but thats a staff for you. don't understand why people would get a particular breed if they don't know what it needs...

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  14:54:32  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I dont have a dog but i have worked with lurchers many times in rescue kennels and they are fantastic dogs we even had one once that was an asistance dog for a deaf lady he was super smart and an awesome dog unfortunately like most dogs of their size are overlooked in places such as rehoming centres but id have one in a heartbeat
My mum has a beautifull rescued greyhound they got her at about 8-9 months old shes stunning now but shes all legs lmao
Love your pictures by the way

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  16:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
N'awwwwwww! Look at the ears on Kipper!! <3
RIP

Gorgeous poochies, sighthounds and EBTs are definitely some of my favourite breeds
Go to Top of Page

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  17:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Casta

she was in the home for over a year and in the glasgow on for a while before that. got her when she was 2 and a half. shes lovely dog with a sweet nature. incredibly hyper when she wants to be but thats a staff for you. don't understand why people would get a particular breed if they don't know what it needs...

I do love hyper dogs, they cheer me up when I'm in a bad mood .
I agree with the breed thing, kind of reversed for me though heh. My grandfather's neighbour found Kipper and his sister Lola in a bag on a road and brought them back to his farm. My grandad called us and we came over to have a look, and ended up taking both home.. oops . They had fox mange and needed medication for a few weeks, so we worked them back to full health. Having falled in love with them, we couldn't keep both as we already had Dillon and Poppy (parsons russell terrier), so Lola went to a good friend down the road. They were adorable puppies and a small size too, but the vet pointed out the size of their feet and warned us about how big they might get. We worked out that they were english bull terriers x greyhound (a known cross used for hunting deer in the area where they were dumped) and apparently they would have been too hard to train. ANYWAY.. Kip grew into an incredibly powerful dog, sweet in nature but troublesome with other dogs. He seemed to think they were toys, and unfortunately had an accident with someone else's dog in which it passed away. We were asked to put him to sleep, and due to the circumstances and other push factors, we were forced to agree. It was either that or a life in the garden on a muzzle constantly.
Sorry for the gloomy input.. it felt relevant. Basil came after Kip, after seeing both parents and being satisfied that he wouldn't grow too big. He's a total wuss though, scared of every dog!

And thanks to the compliments from people
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  08:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would love a rescue whippet but hubby said no (hes finally agreed to a dog at some point in the future ) as they need too much excercise then I can actually handle (mobility disabilities). I would have one in a heartbeat though.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  09:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mamma what you need is a greyhound. they are docile, good with kids generally and only really require a mental let off energy run for half an hour once a day. the rest of the time is happily spent on a sofa there are a lot of great ex racers. only thing is watch out for small animals. if they have been trained to chase then they'll go after cats and small dogs...

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2011 :  12:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww Dillon is gorgeous!
I can't see me ever having a dog,but if I did it would have to be a rescued greyhound. I never even liked the breed 3 years ago. That all changed though when they had a greyhound rescue awareness thing at a local garden centre. I spent ages talking to the owners,group members and meeting the dogs and ended up going home and researching them lol.
I totally fell for them and they are now a firm fave for me.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000