New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaseargonaut12
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  22:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey people, I currently have 2 male corns a normal, and a sunkissed, i'm wanting to get a female ghost, if I was to breed them, what morphs could I end up with??

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  22:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
firstly, I would doubt your sunkissed has been tested for stargazer gene, have a look in the morph sticky for a full explanation on gazers, Im totally against breeding sunkissed until they have been tested to help get rid of this gene, will never happen if people ignore it.

Any breedings you make with those snakes is best just to expect normals het for anery hypo (ghost) and normals het for sunkissed (sunkissed). There are likely to be hets with the normal but if you dont know them just expect normals and anything else is a bonus.

Edited by - gmac on 03/12/2011 22:51:29
Go to Top of Page

jaseargonaut12
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  23:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont think i will be breeding my sunkissed any time soon then just on the off chance he could carry the gene, poor little bugger will have to stop a virgin for the rest of his life
Go to Top of Page

I-love-my-snakes
Snake Mite

25 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  14:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a chance that the breeder of your Sunkissed will test the parents? If he does, this could help you, in case both are tested negative :-)

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  22:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jase, best way to look at any breeding outcomes is if the parents carry different genes, then the babies will be normals, if the parents carry the same genes, either expressed or recessive then you will get a mix of the traits that both parents carry.
That applies to recessive genes only, dominant and co dominant are different, but as it stands, tessera is the only co dom/dominant morph in corns at the moment.
What you need to think is that any cornsnake carries a pair of genes for each trait, assuming its visual, only 1 if its a het, or both will be normal for a normal.
When a baby is created, it takes one gene from each parent for each trait, so an anery to a normal pairing, the anery has both anery genes (its expressed) the normal has both normal genes, so you take one from each, one is anery the other is normal, normal is always dominant over recessive, so the baby is het anery (remember, Het/heterozygous mean the genes are different!)
If the parents are Ghost and normal, then the babies take one anery gene from mother, and one hypo gene from mother, and one normal(colour) and one normal(colour/pattern/hypo), so the babies are normal het hypo and anery.

If both parents are the same, say ghost and ghost, then all babies will take an anery gene and a hypo gene from mother, and the same from father, so both gene traits the babies have are the same, hypo and anery, ghost!

its really hard to explain how it works simply, its a bit of an all or nothing subject, i am still on a fairly steep learning curve with it all, and i been at it for a few years now!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000