Evening of reading....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NaeLou
Egg

69 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  19:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just been reading up on the caresheets of the western hognose and the mexican king...

I think I'm hooked!!

I've now officially added them to my wishlist... unknown to the OH of course!!

I shall wait till we get our own place though as the landlady werent too happy about Misssi!

Love how the hognose plays 'dead' when threatened!

Would anyone say the kings are in particular quite feisty? Anymore than a corn? ....Not that I've had any trouble with Misssi (touch wood)

Everyone was right! when I first joined the forum, you all said I would become addicted! and I most definitely am!

I think my next purchase will definatley be a lavender corn and a hognose.
I think after caring for something other than a corn, I will move on to getting a king.

I've really enjoyed caring for Misssi, she's my baby! But if it werent for this forum, I dont know if I'd have been so successful! Especially her being my first snake EVER!!!
So thanks everyone!

Eventually I would love to move on to breeding.... but I think I need a couple more years of experience for that!

Anyway... She had her 3rd fuzzy today.... and her first constrict!! (well sorta!) I'm so proud! was starting to think she was lazy!

will upload pics soon...

It was a little bigger than her previous fuzzies, so I'm thinking maybe she felt she HAD to constrict it first...

After she went back home and into her hide, she turned round and popped her head out and looked at me for like 5mins, as if to say... "Is that it? no more?!" Haha! Got a feeling I got one greedy shnakey on my hands!

0.1.0 Snow Corn - Misssi
1.0.0 Cat - Sox

hugorune
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  20:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean about becoming addicted, I bought the snake for my son and I spend all ages just watching her
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  20:30:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My king is super super cuddly and snuggly though he is probably one of the very very few kings that are the exception. All I can add is that kings are very thick lol.

He's something to gander at, you want a king first not a shovel face :P
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16486&SearchTerms=ozzy

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  20:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my friend recently bought a hognose, they're really awesome snakes! although you dont really want them playing dead, i like how they fake strike and rattle their tails but as soon as you pick them up they're no different to a corn

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page

NaeLou
Egg

69 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  20:39:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww sta~ple he's stunning!
haha and hognoses may look like 'shovel faces' but I find them strangely cute! .... am I weird?!

Adamasrc - I saw a video of Mort's hognose striking on the hognose forum... actually very funny!

I just dont think I'll be able to pick between them both!

I would get them both at the same time, but dont want to take on too much too soon!

0.1.0 Snow Corn - Misssi
1.0.0 Cat - Sox
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  22:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if it was me, i'd get a hognose before the king.. i see the hognose as a easier, smaller, and less angry version of the king.. just to get used to something with more attitude than a corn snake

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  22:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say the hoggie first!! they are just so fab, nxt year for my birthday though. even though i was planning on waiting a couple of years...oops!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

NaeLou
Egg

69 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  22:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmmm Hoggie's are winning by majority!!
I do think their attitude, from what I've seen, is really cute!

bluebird, I love your Crestie, Fudge seems a perfect name!

0.1.0 Snow Corn - Misssi
1.0.0 Cat - Sox
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  22:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've got a 2ft viv to fill, so i think i know what i'm getting!

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  02:37:18  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adamasrc

i've got a 2ft viv to fill, so i think i know what i'm getting!

That's obvious then.
A yearling kingsnake then.

A short while after that when the king has grown out of the 2ft viv, it'll be empty again.........

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  10:05:54  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt necissarily class kings as more fiesty. Of course the majority of them are, but some are not. For instance, my MBK is as soft as cotton wool. She wouldnt harm a fly, has never stuck or bitten in all the time I have had her. On the other hand I had a south florida kingsnake who was mental. He would strike everytime someone walked past the viv. Trying to get him used to being handled was crazy. Eventually I had to rehime him to someone who takes in peoples mental snakes, as the husband and kids were scared of him. (I swear she is the snake whisperer... she was kissing him etc even when he was striking and such... now shes had him for a wee while, around her hes like a different snake. Around me though... hes the devil again)

Hoggies are great too. My Vedder has so much character. Hes a drop feeder, but if you were to try and tempt him to strike at the feed he puffs himself right up and strike hisses at the feed, then recoils as quickly as he can. His hiss is very loud for such a little dude!

Good choices on future snakes though! I would totally go for getting a hoggie and also an MBK if I were you! xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  14:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good taste!! Both are great snakes.
Hoggies are great,full of character and just sooo cute! I love the little displays mine puts on for me and she's great to watch digging and exploring in her RUB.
My MBK is fab too,very active,usually up at the glass and although in blue I managed to get him out of his viv with only a little hiss to re-stick the probes to his heatmat yesterday (they do like to trash their vivs lol).

They are very different snakes,so you definitely need to get both in the future.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  14:58:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NaeLou

haha and hognoses may look like 'shovel faces' but I find them strangely cute! .... am I weird?!

Yes! lol.

Actually, I've heard hognoses get very angry and puffy, while kings only bite if they think its nom nom time. Honstly, I have been bitten by laid back corns being annoyed or hungry more times than a king and all thsoe bites being my fault. Plus as well with how K's hand swelled up and others after a hoggy bite its no competition who I'd rather be bit by since king bites are the smae as corns imo :P

I think K has the right idea.. :P more likely to get a king and hoggy that way form you OH than get a hoggie straight away since they can live in like 2ft vivs when they are full grown.

Shame you don't live near me, I'd invite you round and you would soon be swoon to get a king by my big black sexy man who oves kisses on his shiney polished head and white kissy lips :3

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  16:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, i couldnt be more happy with the little guy!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

NaeLou
Egg

69 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  19:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Shame you don't live near me, I'd invite you round and you would soon be swoon to get a king by my big black sexy man who oves kisses on his shiney polished head and white kissy lips :3

Hahaha!!

I was already swooned by just the pics.... but You've made him sound so much better!!

0.1.0 Snow Corn - Misssi
1.0.0 Cat - Sox
Go to Top of Page

NaeLou
Egg

69 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  19:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mamma, thats what I'm scared of... I dont want to not be able to handle one and then have to give it up, I get really attached really quickly...

and Mort, I saw your video of Petal, did really make me laugh! Real cute!!

0.1.0 Snow Corn - Misssi
1.0.0 Cat - Sox
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2011 :  23:02:12  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My cali king is soft as dough. I got him off someone who said he kept striking and was viv defensive. He hasn't once struck at me or shown any signs off aggression even when blue. My hoggies go through periods of hissiness which I love. It is sooooo cute. I don't really want to get bitten by them though so I am carefull although it doesnt stop me getting them out. They playing dead thing is really clever however I think they only do it when really provoked and I wouldn't ever stress any of my snakes like that just to get a reaction.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000