New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  14:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so yesterday i fed my snake. but unlike when usually just shys away and hides untill theres no light, she just eat right in front of me. with even a very dim light on in the room. since iv never seen it before, i just thought id share my excitment with everyone. so with every post i pretty much always have a question. so here it is. it took her over an hour to eat i know it will have something to do with the light being on and me watching, but it still seems like a very long time. at first i thought it looked to big, but once it was down her it really didnt look that bad. is she just a very slow eater? also she went straight to the cool side. i have hides on both sides, but she just went straight to the cool end. the temps are 28 and 25. i think she just really likes the hide on the cool end. should i be worried, or move the hide to the warm end?

thanks in advance

1.0.0 corn snake - Flicka
1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  14:25:39  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It is amazing to watch them eat. It never gets old!

It took an hour to swallow it? What size mouse is it?

As for temp as long as the warm end is warm she'll sort herself out. Is the heat mat stat'd?

EDIT:Whats her weight, length and approx age?

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 25/11/2011 14:26:45
Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  15:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah the height mats stat'd. an shes coming up to 5 months (i think, got her from a rescue so i dont know any details). shes about a 1ft and half an i think (cant tell approx cuz i dont have digital scales) shes around 15g (dont know if i got the units right?). she also wouldnt take 2 pinkys and the fuzzies she on are smaller then most. even the reptile people said there really small. so really idk :/ sorry

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  15:42:17  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If she struggled for that long with the Fuzzy i'd try two pinkies again. An hour to eat a fuzzy sounds like a bit of a stretch. But like you i am new to this. Mine takes no longer than 10mins with a fuzzy (this weekend will be her 4th).

Mine was around 25g(20in Long) when she went onto her first fuzzy. She was on double pinks at around 20g's

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

SteGore
Yearling

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  15:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its sounds like the food maby too big.When mine was about 5 month he was one pinkie 5-7 days.

2.2.2.Corns-0.2.0.Cali Kings-0.1.0.MBK-1.0.0.Pastel Boa-1.0.0.CCP-0.1.0.Royal-1.0.0 BRB-0.1.0.Spotted Python-0.1.0.Olive Python-0.1.0.Trinket Snake.-1.0.0.Peppermint Pacman Frog-0.2.0.Train Millipedes-0.1.0.Armoured bush Cricket-2.GALS.6 Albino GALS-6 Pancake Slugs.1.Green Mantis.0.1.0.Shi-tzhu cross.
Go to Top of Page

Midge
Hatchling

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  19:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An hour seems to be a long time. My lights are always on when I feed mine, and me watching and taking the odd pic doesn't faze him. Was your snake just holding the food in its mouth or was it still trying to swallow the fuzzy? If she was trying to eat it for the whole hour it sounds like she was struggling. I'd go back down to pinkies as you can get large pinkies for an in-between size. Pets at home sell them.

1.0 CB11 Carolina Corn Snake - Naboo
1.0 CB10 Butter Motley Corn Snake - Rudi
0.1 CB09 Amel het Caramel, Stripe - Zumba
1.0 CB12 Phantom - Bollo
0.1 CB12 Diffused Powder - Rosie
0.1 CB12 Hypo Lavender - Lily

Edited by - Midge on 25/11/2011 19:21:47
Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  07:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ill be honest for a long time at the start it really didnt look like she was swallow, I did get a pic at the very end, but its really poor quality. Should I post it to show the size??

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  08:01:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its really not a good pic but you can get the gist of things

1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

SteGore
Yearling

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  17:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks a little big tbh.Maybe try pinkies again.mines on 3 every 7 days at the moment.Also i would feed outside of viv, on kitchen towel or newspaper.so she doesnt eat any substrate with it.

2.2.2.Corns-0.2.0.Cali Kings-0.1.0.MBK-1.0.0.Pastel Boa-1.0.0.CCP-0.1.0.Royal-1.0.0 BRB-0.1.0.Spotted Python-0.1.0.Olive Python-0.1.0.Trinket Snake.-1.0.0.Peppermint Pacman Frog-0.2.0.Train Millipedes-0.1.0.Armoured bush Cricket-2.GALS.6 Albino GALS-6 Pancake Slugs.1.Green Mantis.0.1.0.Shi-tzhu cross.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  18:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its hard to judge the size of the mouse once its squeezed by the throat muscles but going only on what my snake looks like once its in the throat is that may be a little bit big.

Do you mean it took an hour for her to ingest the mouse or an hour from you putting the mouse in to it been gone. If its taking an hour for her to swallow the mouse then its a bit of a long time. The rule is the mouse shouldn't be more than 1.5 times the thickness of the snake.

My Boa will faff with her food for about/over half an hour sometimes though before even attempting to swallow it, was that what your snake was doing?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000