Hedgehog hand rear...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

angriesthedgehog
Yearling

United Kingdom
884 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  15:05:37  Show Profile  Visit angriesthedgehog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thought I would share some pictures of Hatshephut. her mum, Yini, yesterday abandoned the smallest baby of her litter of four hoglets. Unfortunately he did not make it. This morning, this little girl , who was also fairly small, had also been thrown out and mum refused to take her back so I am trying to hand rear her. The two other babies are doing well with mum.

I have named this lady Hatshephut and she is 10 days old. So far today she has been toileting and feeding very well and has started calling me already at feeding times. She is also quite active and very greedy! I am really hoping this little girl can pull through as I have already become attached to her in the short time, yet again some of the harsh realities of breeding.

Hatshephut...

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  15:11:08  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aww what a lil cutie ive handreared baby hedgehogs in the past when i worked at secret world a badger and wildlife rescue centre/visitor centre we had an enclosure in our nocturnal house with a small group of albino hedgies they were awwwwesome keep us posted mate

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  15:15:41  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You dont realise how time they are as babies. Mrs Simmy is still wanting one of these when we get a house! I'll be pestering you for tips on care etc when the time comes.

Hope she pulls through!

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

angriesthedgehog
Yearling

United Kingdom
884 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  15:19:05  Show Profile  Visit angriesthedgehog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
shes all of 13g at the mo, tiny. Not sure if she is an albino or a light colour yet, as her eyes seem to be dark under the lids, her grandmothers on both parents' sides are albino so could be anything. Shes a bit dirty as mum shunted her around a bit in her poo corner :/ Cant clean off properly at the mo.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  16:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww good luck with this one, she looks well so fingers crossed.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  18:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh we are all rooting for her so fingers crossed and full of hope she,ll make it !

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  18:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awh so teeny! Good luck to her!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  19:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope everything goes ok, just so adorable

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

ravensgirl
Hatchling

123 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  20:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awww my fingers are crossed for her - it's such a shame that this seems to happen so much with hedgies and like you say it's the harsh reality of breeding - only those who completely know what they are doing should do it x

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  21:21:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
bless her, hope she makes it, i'm sure she'll be a keeper if she does and at least she won't be too *****ly yet

a few years ago i took home 3 baby wild hedgepigs that were handed in at work and handreared them, not quite that small though they did all need syringe feeding about every 2-3 hours for weeks (it did seem like more lol)
we kept them awake all winter using one of the snake's heatmats and they all made a good size when the were released...........never to be seen again i might add!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  22:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God that took a while to work out *****ly as in spikey lol.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2011 :  10:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's so sweet & tiny, hope she makes it

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2011 :  13:10:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
forgot about this damn swear filter...........PRICKLY!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  01:31:50  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awwww she is really sweet.

Fortuntely I never had any hoglets abandoned when I used to breed APH's, though I did have a few babies 'disappear' in the first few days after birth..

In my very last litter there was a tiny little runt albino girl, less than half of the size of her brothers. I didn't think she would survive, but she was a real fighter and her mum's favourite which helped. A year later she is smaller than average but perfectly healthy and still living with her mum, unusual for APH's as they are solitary animals, but I couldn't split them. Here's a pic of her with one of her brothers.

Good luck with your little baby. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)

Edited by - thistle on 24/11/2011 02:02:59
Go to Top of Page

angriesthedgehog
Yearling

United Kingdom
884 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  08:47:34  Show Profile  Visit angriesthedgehog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
aww bless - I did have a teeny who did really well

I lost Hapshephut this morning to bloat :( Yini also abandoned the last two babies yesterday so I am still trying to rear those xx

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  08:50:13  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to hear that.

So the mother has abandoned all her babies now?

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  10:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh no i am so sorry xxx

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  10:57:05  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh no :( is yini a first time mum??

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  16:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry xxx

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

angriesthedgehog
Yearling

United Kingdom
884 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2011 :  19:31:06  Show Profile  Visit angriesthedgehog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this was her second litter - but we had emergency heating done over the last three days - I think the noise caused her to abandon these babies. The last two babies are doing well with me xx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000