New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cwilloughby08
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  10:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last week I bought my first corn snake hatchling, he hatched sometime in September.
For some reason he will not use his hide, he goes round the back of it but not in it where its warm. I have put him in it myself twice but after 10 mins or so hes out and stays out. Now my room is quite cold so im worrying that he will get too cold, he is only tiny. On the plus side I offered him a pinkie last night (his first one with me) and he ate it so thats good i guess.

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  10:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, welcome to the forum. I assume you have the heat mat covering 1/3 to 1/2 of the faun/viv on a stat and the temps are correct, if so I really wouldn't worry too much as he will no doubt know what's best for him. A couple of mine spend a lot of time just laying around in the open whilst the others are usually nowhere to be seen.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  11:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the hides are too big. If they can only just squish into a hide they like that, if its too big they will find somewhere more secure intheir own mind which may include wedging themselves behind the hide.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  11:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, the hide is probably too big. My hatchie was very timid, and we found changing his coconut hides to half toilet roll tubes made him feel much safer

Go to Top of Page

cwilloughby08
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  12:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made the hide out of a tissue box, about ¼ of it so yes it will be 2 big for him. I used a toilet roll first but he wasn’t interested. I will get something smaller for him.

I don’t know the temps of my tank, my first snake i got 2 weeks ago, i found her on preloved. The guy i got her off said she would be fine in the rub she was in for another year but its a ft long and about 9 inches wide and she is 2 ½ ft long so i went out and bought her another bigger one with a bigger heat mat. In fact reading some posts i think i have my set up wrong.

For my female i have her in The Exo Terra Flat Faunarium large the heat mat covers about 1/3. I have in underneath the faunarium.
My hatchling that i got on Wednesday i have in my females old faunarium, but the heat mat is inside it with bedding covering it. The woman at the pet shop said it was fine for him just cover it with bedding which i have done. I was told i wouldn’t been anything else but looking at some the posts it looks like i might need more.

if you need more info or if i have left anything out let me know. thanks
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  12:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your temps are all wrong, do you have your mats on a stat? Your hatchlings mat should be under the faun controlled by a mat stat. You need to get a thermometer ASAP and properly control the housing conditions.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000