New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NiallP
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  01:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently, my heat mat is on the side of my viv (it's glass) and I wanted to know whether it would be better to put it underneath the viv on the bottom?

However, if I put the heat mat on the bottom then it covers the whole of the viv, and I've read that you're only meant to cover up to 1/2 of the viv.

I'm a little confused

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  07:30:09  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can put it on the bottom. Just don't put it all under the tank. Just sit the tank on half of it.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  09:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simmy_82

You can put it on the bottom. Just don't put it all under the tank. Just sit the tank on half of it.

Or get a smaller mat

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  19:18:54  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
replied on your other thread :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2011 :  20:12:46  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
me too lol

setting the mat up on the side of the viv is for geckos, for snakes it should be on the bottom or underneath (depending on the sizes of the enclosure and heatmat) and the temps should be measured directly above the mat

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

NiallP
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  16:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went in the shop yesterday and I asked where to put the mat and the woman told me on the side, not underneath, she then rang an advisor and he also said on the side and not underneath. I'm really confused now because I have mine on the side and it keeps the warm end as warm as it should be, and the cold end is 21 degrees C
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  16:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They can be mounted on the side or the bottom the difference been snakes have lovely flat bellies designed to soak up residual heat from the ground to warm the snake up. Corn snakes dont bask, they sit on warm spots so thats why its recommended to have the mat underneath the snake, If its mounted on the side it is only heating the air and mats are really inefficient for that job, which means your snake is sat on cold substrate, with a little bit of warm air around it but the ventillation means that the air cycles out before it has any chance to do a decent job, this sort of thing is OK/more relevant for lizards etc which are only in contact with the ground at their feet but for a snake laying all on the ground its far better to just heat the ground.

And you'll find that 99.9% of all shops dont have a clue or are doing things as they were done 10, 15 even 20 years ago, as times change the hobby progresses and learns of better methods.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 22/11/2011 16:26:55
Go to Top of Page

NiallP
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  16:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I think I shall move it underneath then. I've read the 101 so I will leave an air gap, and should I only put a thin layer of substrate over the warm end and move over the cold end?
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  18:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah a thin layer over the hot end, though if you put a lot over that end they'd soon work out to push it out of the way or even burrow under it, it just saves them the bother.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

NiallP
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  21:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well when I'm home ill be doing that! I'll put the heat mat on something to insulate it, then put the viv over it (so there will be an air gap). Then I'll put a bit of aspen over it and about an inch at the cold end.

The bottom of my viv has like a black layer on it, will this result in better heat conduction?
Go to Top of Page

NiallP
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2011 :  23:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And it's done, Sylar seems a bit more active too, which is good! But that might be due to cause its night time!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2011 :  00:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Viv? As in wooden box with sliding glass doors or faun/Rub as in plastic box with lid?

If its a viv dont waste your time putting the heat mat outside, wood is a very good insulator so the mat need to be inside to do any good at all. Though you need a thermostat, if you dont have one dont use the heat mat at all until you do.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

NiallP
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2011 :  01:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A glass viv, and I have a stat :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly