New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  10:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been reading about a morph called root beer but not seen any or prices of these. Anyone know anything about them?

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  11:12:22  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Arent they hybirds great plains rat x Corn i love the look of them but i dont know of many people that sell or breed them

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Lotsofsmoggies
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  11:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw some hatchlings labelled at a garden centre as root beer and I came home and googled them. They are a hybrid.

What I was surprised to learn was that they could go on to breed. I thought the hybrids were infertile? And that is where the cremiscle (sp) corn has come from.

Visit me in my other life http://lotsofsmoggies.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  13:46:58  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what morphs/hybrid you get depends on the morph of the corn parent when mated with an emoryii

all hybrids are definitely NOT infertile!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Lotsofsmoggies
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  14:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've no idea what led me to believe they were infertile, but since researching the root beers I know different now.

Visit me in my other life http://lotsofsmoggies.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

yola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  21:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a big Creamcicle Corn boy, i bred with him a few times but every time i bred him with my Okettee i got some strange looking ones, i kept 1 and my stepson had 1 too.
I later found out that my Creamcicle was a hybrid as this was the only way for breeders to get this colour and it was to breed with a Ratsnake, and if the hybrid was bred with you could end up with Rootbeers, Creamcicles, i found that these ones were far better to take to feeding and would eat 2 pinkies within a month and grew very quickly in comparason to there Amel siblings or okette siblings.
You can breed and breed with the hybrid of this type but it will never eradicate the Ratsnake init and if you sell any babies state clearly that there hybrids.
Heres a pic of my Rootbeer, hes the one at the bottom of the pic with brown saddles and a tellowey tinge

With 27 beautiful corns I definitely have snakeitus :-)
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2011 :  13:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whilst it is a hybrid, its also worth noting and remembering that cornsnakes are also ratsnakes, just a different sub specie.
You could breed a cornsnake with a ratsnake and get cornsnakes, breed with a great plains and get rootbeers etc.
When talking about hybrids you need to be very specific about which two species you are talking about, there are more than 2500 different species of colubrid, all technically could be hybridised.

Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2011 :  20:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hurts the brain to think about all the different ways to get lovely looking snakes. Yola your root beer looks cool too.
Go to Top of Page

carmichael6
Egg

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2011 :  23:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently Gino is a rootbeer if you look on my post ( http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18716 ) I have pictures of him :)but someone who has bred corns from the original bloodline is saying he's a caramel and a girl so I'm not sure if he is a rootbeer or not oh well :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000