Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Bugaboo, a pewter with 'tude. Advice required.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotsofsmoggies
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2011 :  06:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first decided to get another snake again I looked in the local reptile shops, they had a pewter hatchling that I picked up and thought 'wow' but I wanted a butter corn so I put him back.

I go back to the shop a month later to get a butter motley, pewter is still there, I'm still tempted. I go back again to get pinkies, I get told by the young girl assistant I don't want him he is nasty. He had been reduced to £20. How could I resist?? But I did. Finally I go back again after another month and he is still there so even though he was striking at me through the tub I pay my pennies and bring him home.

Here are some pics of him in a sort or relaxed mood and full hating and striking the camera mode.

So what do people think his problem maybe? He seems to strike at moving things or things that frighten him so is it in dog terms nervous aggression? Strike first ask questions later? He shakes his tail, hiss's and actually bites. My nose can tell you so. Yet he can also be quite nice to handle until something catches his eye. I'm pleased I took him rather than someone who just wanted a cheap snake. You can even see where he has constantly been striking his tub on his nose, it looks white, sort of bruised if you like. And you can just about see it in picture 2 but his head is far wider (just before it goes into the body) than other young corns I've seen, is that a problem?

Visit me in my other life http://lotsofsmoggies.webs.com/

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2011 :  09:18:30  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perhaps hes just a snake with an attitude. How old is he?

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2011 :  09:30:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
probably just scared. a week to chill with the sock trick (keep it in your pocket or in clothing for 24 hrs) he'll calm.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2011 :  10:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool, hes got some proper attitude, its not every corn that coils 4 times to strike and flattens his head at the same time!!! Out of the 150 or i have had, only 2 did that!!
To be honest, the only fix is handling, it might be just that he will never get out of it, but should at least stop biting after a while.
Theres always one somewhere that thinks he can take on the world, it probably actually lack of fear that is the problem!!

Go to Top of Page

Lotsofsmoggies
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2011 :  11:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's about 6 months old, only a baby. I really love the attitude, it makes him unique. I always seem to be attracted to the animals who have a bit more about them, even if it means leaving them be to be themselves without me forcing myself upon them.

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2011 :  15:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He bit your nose!! cant help with his attitude, but those are really great pics!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2011 :  17:32:50  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He is fabulous. I like animals that have got a bit of personality too. I am the same with my foster dogs. Both me and my trainer like the ones that are naughty. It makes them fun to work with

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

SheWolfey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2011 :  19:41:14  Show Profile  Visit SheWolfey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My cat is grumpy like that. She scratched me just because he was in a bad mood and unfortunetly I was th closest thing to him at the time

He is beautiful (the snake that is, not my cat XD), even if he is a little grumpy

1.1.0 Cats (Baccus and Isis)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Indra)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2011 :  20:21:24  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Daaaawwwwww he's like my baby rattles :3 striking at me when he was still in his eggy that bugger did lol! Bit my finger! Well he has done on many occasions I just didn't expect something to leap up like a jack in a box at me! He may never grow out of it 100%...for example now rattles never bites me and hes a month and a half old, he will get into the strike position and rattles his tail at me though! Just seems the smaller they are, the more feisty they are as they are scared. All you can do is handle every day that you can for like 5 mins, maybe every 5 mins in the morning, 5 mins at night, it does make

The nose just looks like colouring to me rather than damaged, damaged noses are wrinkly and crackly.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2011 :  22:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely love that 4th pic,he's fab!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2011 :  23:19:29  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He is beautiful. There's nothing wrong with a bit of attitude. Lol.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Lotsofsmoggies
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  07:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm quite chuffed with the coiled picture too, Unlikely I'll ever have a time again to capture him like that, I have all the evidence to show people of my snake with 'tude

Go to Top of Page

Daniel_G
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  08:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehehe, i take it he enjoyed nomming your nose.
Did he draw blood? I like him sticking his tongue out at you in the last picture

Regards,
Dan

Still don't own a snake, roll on new year!!!
Go to Top of Page

Lotsofsmoggies
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  09:19:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No blood he's two little for that, but you could feel the pin *****s on your nose where the teeth had made contact. Its the first time I've been bitten and bless him for trying to take on my big face.

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  10:59:05  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry cant help with the attitude but just wanted to say he looks like a stunning lilo snakey kudos for taking him and those pics are awesome!!

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Egg

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  14:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome pics! He's gorgeous! Good luck with taming him down. Regular handling and crossed (hopefully not too badly bitten) fingers are what you need! I kinda hope he keeps the 'tude a little though, nice to see a fiesty corn! ;) LOL

0.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake 'Nagini', 4.8.0 Royal Pythons, 1.0.0 BRB, 1.0.0 Honduran BCI, 1.0.0 Yemen Chameleon 'Jasper' and 1.0.1 Beardies 'Snuggle' & 'Beanie'
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000