New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  19:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering - in a faunarium they tend to be clear all way round, so would it be better to blank out 1 or more of the sides so a new snake wouldn't be so 'on display'? Also in a family setting would it be OK to set up in an area which gets 'through traffic' as it were or should it be somewhere more hidden away?

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  19:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends on the snake. If it's a hatchling then I would cover both sides and the back with paper and put the faun somewhere quiet to begin with. Our 2 are in my daughter's room, mostly because I have cats & dogs and a snake phobic Husband

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  19:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, a hatchling, we looked at some today and I didn't want to leave them behind! I want to get everything set up and perfect 1st lol!

Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  19:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends how you look at it really, we have eight fauns all sides clear located by the living room / kitchen door so plenty of movement around them. The quicker they get used to it the better in my opinion, they have hides to escape to but are out and about often.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  20:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its also down to the individual snake. I have a corn that is the nosiest thing in the world, if something goes by he comes out to investigate, I also have a snake that's shy and hides pretty much 24/7. I'm lucky as my house is usually quite a quiet place but I'd always favour a quieter area than a high traffic area even for the nosey snakes.

Covering a few sides of the faun is never a bad thing either. Extra security.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  21:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks :)

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  21:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Down to snake and owner to be honest. My Blaze's RUB is against a wall so the rear side is covered anyway but my snakes are in my room the only noise they get is from.. me, and the hoover. Both are inquisitive but I doubt locking them away would be a good thing like; Okeetee Mark said, quicker they get used to it the better!
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  09:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the opinions - I think I might just try downstairs with 3 sides blocked out 1st and see if snakey settles OK :)

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  14:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have my hatchie in the small faun sitting on a side in the sitting room by the kitchen door, however there are only 2 of us living in the house so doesn't get too busy, she's seemed ok up to now though always out and inquisitive

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Bluenicoli
Egg

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  15:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a very shy corn snake to start with. He was right by the bedroom door and quite low down. He seemed to get a bit spooked everytime we came in and i think it was partly because we would appear out of nowhere towering above him! Moved him to a higher position in a corner and he has been loads better since. You'll get an idea of your snake once you get him/her but i'm with mick. As long as they have hides to use they should be ok. I'd see how it goes first then block out the sides if you need to. They do need some settling in time to chill too...

1.0.0 Snow Motley - Norman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000