Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 I know its not a corn ut closely related.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mohikan22
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  09:42:06  Show Profile  Visit mohikan22's Homepage  Reply with Quote
morning all, my japanese rat snake has been eating fuzzies fine since we got him, for the past month he has eaten every other week, but again 2 days ago he has refused to eat, all temps and hyrdo is ok, could it be hes now wanting to be fed every 14-21 days instead? he has grown fast since we got him, he is now just a yr old but apppz 2ft6! but not a big girth more length than anything,
the cycle has been :30 aug refusal 6sep ref 9sept fed ok 15sept fed ok 24sept refusal 26 30 sept and 10oct fed 18oct ref 25 fed 01 nov ref 8nov ref,
thanks for any help.
His last and only shed with us was 29 july but atm no sign of "blueing" or inactivitey hes still exploring a way out everyday
matt.

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  10:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im no expert, so sorry if i sound stupid but could it just be some to do with the weather????
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  11:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jap rats arent as closely related as you may think!! Its not overly uncommon for eastern rats to be quite fussy. They arent so much like corns where the habitat needs to be 'something like' they would have in the wild, they need to be very close, if not spot on to what they would have, and if not, they can be quite fussy, and notoriously more difficult to breed.
It would seem he isnt growing as fast as maybe it seems, 4 months between shedding is contra indicative of fast growth!
That said, if he will only feed fortnightly, then just feed fortnightly, it wont do any harm.
Another thing to note, due to time of the year, a lot of snakes will be thinking about brumation, and most eastern snakes will do that out of natural habit due to the temps that happen there.

Go to Top of Page

mohikan22
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  13:58:59  Show Profile  Visit mohikan22's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks worth noting, like i said it was usually weekly but has recently become perhaps fortnightly... and again this brumation may be part of it i guess but its being a different snake to my other corns i have nothing to compare him too.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000