Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  23:40:25  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice! You should have done mine for me :P

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  00:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are some of the tools I use for working on the logs & branches:

The butcher's boning knife is the main tool for the rough bark removal but also good for the first stage of trimming the 'pith' down to the actual core wood. This pith looked good, almost like ivory, but it was prone to picking up mould as well as stains. Knife held across both hands and drawn towards the body. Hands protected with adapted neoprene wrist supports. (Only £1:00 per pair from Poundsavers.)

The gouges were a bargain at £20:00 from Aldi's. The most useful ones are the scallop hooks. I use these for getting down to an even grain.

Dan, The paint scraper holds a standard Stanley blade and again used double handed like a spoke-shave. Good for getting into some of the 'Y' joints of the branches. It is also less tiring and safer on the hands than using a Stanley knife.

Just as important as the tools are the whet stone and sharpening steel. A wee strop every 10 minutes or so makes it easier, gives a better finish and actually makes the job safer. Sharper tools mean less effort so it is less likely for something to slip and cut a pink bit. Blood stains are a pain to get out of wood.

I also have the logs mounted on a trestle saw bench with a car seat-belt rigged to a foot pedal to hold the branches securely. (Pic to follow)

For comparison, the branch with the dark stripes is one that has just had the bark taken off and a first rough cut to trim down the pith layer. The others are nearing the finishing stage, eventually.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

voodoo
Hatchling

162 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  07:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks really good, especially liking the antlers!

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  10:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they do look really good

Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  10:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great! I like your 'Dexter' tool box lol

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  13:12:00  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The antlers need a year or two getting bleached and weathered naturally lying on a bed of wild heather. These were too fresh, getting the blood drained and removing the velvet takes forever. I've tried everything from strong bleach solution to Cillit Bang to clean them up. Only thing I haven't tried is battery acid and caustic soda which will probably dissolve the antlers.

Hissy, who is Dexter? Some relative of Bob the Builder?

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  13:23:00  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
seams like alot of tools to do a simple job. i picked one of these up at a car boot. but easily picked up in hardware an iron mongers. is specifically designed for shaving an debarking wood. if kept sharp hardly needs any sanding down after. angle of the blade means doesnt dig in.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  13:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Hissy, who is Dexter? Some relative of Bob the Builder?

Lol, not quite. He's a serial killer (US show) who only kills those that deserve it...he has a kill kit very much like your wood cleaning snakey kit

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  14:16:18  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chris, that's a spokeshave and a half but I'm an artisan not a lumberjack. [;) I actually enjoy whittling away a couple of hours just for the sake of it. The bonus is that the snakes will get a hand crafted climbing frame .. eventually. BTW, how is Bumble doing?

Hissy, I always fancied being a serial killer 'Equaliser'. I wonder if the Job Centre would see it as an acceptable career move.

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  15:11:12  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Alan its a drawknife, not just used by lumber jacks :-P. Spokeshave is much small almost resembles a kind of plane.

Bumbles fine ta, shed last week so supper shiney lol. X

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  20:47:49  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cheers Chris, I could only find the small spoke-shaves when I Googled and checked e-bay. I actually thought of making something like that draw-knife but only about half the size, more suitable for the size of branches and logs I'd be using. First thing is to pinch the handle bars from the kid's bike down the road.

Always nice to see new shiny skin. Vambo is now on small rats and has gained 100 grams already, weighs in at 1200 grams. Gonna need a bigger house soon.

Go to Top of Page

Cazzy
Hatchling

105 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  22:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i really need to go out and look for some wood!! i had no idea how to do it properlly until looking on here, i was abit hesitant to click on it what with the title but now i know what to do so thanks i heard you had to put them in the oven or something?

1.0.0 Ultramel anery- Gonzo
1.0.0 Royal python- conan
0.1.0 Rottweiler- Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  23:59:18  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't bake mine, just debark, bleach, rinse and started shaving down.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000