New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  21:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all. We got Cornelius a week yesterday & if you have read my other post, he popped his head out of his hide on Thurs. I wasn't at home from Fri afternoon until this afternoon.

During that time, my partner was keeping me updated on his progress. Corny came out of his hide completely, for a wander & to curl up, in the warmer side of his fauna Fri night & Sat night.

He has popped his head out once tonight about 30mins ago. We are wondering if it is ok for us to take him out his hide & get him to eat or shall we just wait for him to come out again by himself?

I'm worried because we haven't fed him yet since we've had him.

Also, is there a certain time during the day that's best to feed them than any other time?

Many thanks in advance.

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  21:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you've had him a week then a quick handling session should be ok now, you may wish to just feed him and see if he feeds and then have a quick handling session in a couple days time. Handling can be stressful which can put snakes off feeding.

Good luck

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  21:38:38  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
personaly (this is how i would do it.. dunno about others) now he has settled in for the 7 days, I would take him out of his hide and feed him I feed mine at mixed times of the day. I dont specificaly feed in the evenings or mornings etc.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  21:38:44  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Kath, should be fine to take Cornelious out and try feeding him - you could do this in the next hour or so if you take out a pinky to defrost, stick it in a bag and leave it on the side/put it in warm water - when you take him out, be sure to be calm n steady (try not to flinch etc), chances are that he'll simply try and "run" for it...give him a few minutes to calm down after you have him. When it comes to feeding you probably know the drill...small tub, tease him with the mouse a little etc. if he really doesn't seem to want it then feel free to put him back in his viv - along with the mouse on a piece of kitchen roll, hopefully he will eat it overnight...but do take it out in the morning if it is still there.

As for snake feeding times - I feed AURYN early evening usually (6pm - 8pm), but have successfully fed him around mid-day when going away for a weekend (to no ill effect). I don't think it particularly matters, although in nature they would be hunting in the evening/at night.

I've tried to keep it reasonably short n sweet, but do ask if you have more questions, or if I haven't made sense with anything. Best of luck

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  22:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Thanks very much for your quick help / advice. Cornelius has had his first small pinkie with us at about 9.50pm.

We had to tease him a bit with it but it didn't take very long for him to swallow it once he started! I feel very relieved now & at the time, I felt like a nervous mum!! hehe.

When we put him back in his fauna, he came to rest on the warmer side & he's lay still now.

We weighed him, he's 0.01kg, will measure him & take pics next time we handle him, when the light will be better!

Does that weight seem ok for an 11wk old baby?

Also, when would you say we handle him again?

Lastly, would we feed him again in another 5 days or sooner / later?

Thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  22:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a new snake, best to keep handling time to just a few mins at a time, just to avoid stress, but other than that, when you want to see him, just go get him! (not when been fed for two days!!)Either feed in seperate box or put nown kitchen roll, and hope it goes well! (feed whenever suits you)

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  22:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10g is reasonable for a hatchie that young yes. And dont feed him any sooner than 5 day intervals, every 5 days is fine

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  22:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5 days sounds fine for a little hatchie, crystal is 17 weeks (approx) and weighs 15g she was 10g when we got her at about 12 wks old, its just a guide as they all grow at different rates.

You need to leave him for at least 48 hours to digest his food, then have short handling sessions to start. Pleased the feeding went well

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  22:48:33  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That weight is fine, my 2 hatchies were born late July and weigh 11g and 12g apeice.
You should leave him 48 hours until you handle him again, and feed him every 5 days.

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  22:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to bed now, had enough excitement for one day!!

Thanks again for all your replies. x

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000