New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bcohen84
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  00:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I just bought Ginger a new wooden viv as her exoterra one was way too small for her. She is now in a 4ft wooden viv, and I have a few questions. Her hide is a Large Zoomed 3in1 repti shelter, and I place that on top of the heat mat which covers a little less than 1/2 the floor space. She also has her water dish and cold hide at the opposite end. I have a digital thermometer at each end, and a thermostat attached to the heat mat. My question is, is a light necessary for the day? Her hot temp bounces at about 85-83 degree F and the sensor lies on the mat under her hide. Her cold temp is in the low end at the moment (61-65) and I wasn't sure if the basking lamp would be necessary to help raise that low end up, or if the heat mat should be sufficient. Thanks for any advice, I just am trying to avoid having a light on all day if it is not necessary.

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  00:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no you dont need a light the natural lighting will be sufficient.

Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  09:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gmac is right,a light isn't needed. I put a light in the viv just so we could see the snake, and used a low energy 7 watt bulb. It doesn't get hot, but I put in a guard just in case

Go to Top of Page

bcohen84
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  11:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the low end Temp is not too low you think? I woke up this morning and I noticed her hot end was still nice, but the cold had got down to 58.5 degrees F. Is it just as lond as I have the hot end at the appropriate temp all should be fine? Cheers
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  20:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bcohen84

So the low end Temp is not too low you think? I woke up this morning and I noticed her hot end was still nice, but the cold had got down to 58.5 degrees F. Is it just as lond as I have the hot end at the appropriate temp all should be fine? Cheers

Pretty much, it doesn't have to be 22*C exactly, as long as there a gradient of a few degrees your snake can thermoregulate effectively.

Lighting isn't needed, it can be desired though, as it looks nice and can help you see your snake but to prevent heat/breakage I'd advise a guard on all bulbs in your vivarium.
Go to Top of Page

bcohen84
Snake Mite

17 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  21:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks....even if I did use the light I wouldn't need to cover it as the Viv I have has a mesh hole at the top for the light to sit on so light and heat can get in but Ginger could never get to it :) At the moment I will just leave things the way they are and skip the light I suppose. I was just worried about the cold temp. Her hot end thermo reads at 85 or so constantly and it sits on the center of the heat mat under right under her zoo med 3in1 hide. :D Thanks for all the help thus far guys and gals!!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000