Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  19:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again!

Last question for today I think....!

Have read that you should clean your snakes enclosure every month, which some sites say & we were told every 2 months, any suggestions on which is right?
Also, when you clean the actual viv, do you get rid of all the substrate & replace with fresh or just the top layer say or maybe just where your snake does his business?

Thanks.

***moved from Intros to General by GP***

Edited by - gmac on 18/10/2011 19:51:19

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  19:50:52  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
really it depends on what substrate you're using and how messy the individual snake is

please post in the right sections as this is the 3rd thread i've had to move.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

johno
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  19:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just do every 6 weeks then ur in between :P and personally yea for what it costs i just replace all mine disinfect everything then u know everything is clean and all substrate is fresh.
Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  20:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks johno, my other half said just go inbetween what I'd been told & read but not telling him he was right lol.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  20:03:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
our tinies on kitchen roll or aspen need a weekly full clean

the adults in RUBs on newspaper get a weekly clean out, the ones on aspen go for, well, as long as it takes - usually i just do a partial change and wipe half the RUB down with disinfectant then tip the aspen the to the other side and finishing wiping round. it's mainly the clean girls on aspen

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  20:13:00  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mine are spot checked every couple of days although I can usually smell when they have pooped. Then I just get some tissue and scoop out the offending mess and surrounding aspen. I usually do a full clean out about every 6 weeks-2 months (whenever I have time to do it).

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  22:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do daily poop scoop checks. I do full clean of the RUBS and vivs every 4 weeks.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  01:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
8/10 Kellogs will poop when getting handled! so his faun is spotless most of the time, but still gets full clean every 6 weeks

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  10:28:24  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Same a scottishbluebird for me ^^^^

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  20:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 months for me. If you spot check it shouldn't be too desperate. Although the smell could be an indicater you need to clean them out.
Go to Top of Page

huffy_86
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  21:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We clean Pablo out every 6 weeks with a full substrate change and disinfect, but in the meantime we do spot checks everyday and if he's had a dump we use special reptile friendly anti bacterial wipes to remove the poop and surrounding substrate and clean around the area.

Remember to check any rub decorations aswell... i recently found Pablos trailing plant covered in poop and wouldn't have seen without lifting it to check underneath!! Was a right mess to clean!

James aka Huffy, Leighton Buzzard.
Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Egg

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2011 :  14:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I clean out Nagini's Faun every 6-8 weeks depending on how much time I have and how dirty it is! I spot clean every day or every other day in between to make sure nothing nasty gets left! LOL

0.1.0 Carolina Corn Snake 'Nagini', 4.8.0 Royal Pythons, 1.0.0 BRB, 1.0.0 Honduran BCI, 1.0.0 Yemen Chameleon 'Jasper' and 1.0.1 Beardies 'Snuggle' & 'Beanie'
Go to Top of Page

MammasGirl
Egg

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  10:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kath I help mamma clean her snakes and we clean everything once a month but scoop poop every day

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000