New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  12:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just had two RUBS delivered and didn't realise there is a gap around the lid and the rim of the RUB. Do all the RUBS have this gap or is it just the larger ones that have it. The two I have are 64 ltr. I am concerned that it could be a potential escape route for my young corns.

Thank you

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  12:24:32  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
they all have a gap, but the bigger the rub, the bigger the gap. I keep my BRB in a 64l RUB, but he'll be off to a viv before too much longer as he's about 3' now.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  14:20:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as pete said above really, the bigger the RUB the bigger the gap but yes they all have gaps

and you're right to be concerned about youngsters escaping - i've had hatchies and yearlings escape from 4L and 9L ones........though how old/big are your youngsters?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  14:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

as pete said above really, the bigger the RUB the bigger the gap but yes they all have gaps

and you're right to be concerned about youngsters escaping - i've had hatchies and yearlings escape from 4L and 9L ones........though how old/big are your youngsters?

They are yearlings just over 2 ft.

I know I could have gone smaller RUB wise but will be packing the 64l out with plants and hides so it won't be an issue that way (hopefully). I have been doing some searching and have seen others use a piece of thick cardboard and even backing board placed/squashed into the lid. So that the cardboard is squeezed onto the top of the RUB completely getting rid of that gap.
Has anyone on here tried this?

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  14:56:09  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
with extra packing you might find it impossible to get the lid down and the handles snapped shut BUT what i've done before is fill in the gaps underneath the lid, in the little sections between the moulded plastic bit the lid sits down on

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  15:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you considered the lock&lock tubs? They snap shut and are air/liquid tight, so solder/poke some holes in for air of course! :) I'm keeping my tiny new fire corn in, as no doubt she'd squiggle out of the gaps in a rub!
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  17:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

Have you considered the lock&lock tubs? They snap shut and are air/liquid tight, so solder/poke some holes in for air of course! :) I'm keeping my tiny new fire corn in, as no doubt she'd squiggle out of the gaps in a rub!

I couldn't find any larger than the faunarium they already in.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  17:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a 21l RUB for Ofelia,she's approx 16 months and I don't dare put her in it due to the gap lol!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  07:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I seem to have solved the gap problem. I laid the lid on the cardboard it came in and drew round it. The cardboard fits tightly in the lid and once the lid is on it presses onto the top and the gap has gone. Its like an extra lid really. It does make the clips a little tighter but thats just added to the security.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2011 :  07:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you looked at these in ready steady store? They have clip over handles on each end.
Plastic storage box (35 litres) 11.99
Plastic storage box (64 litres) 14.99
Plastic storage box (85 litres) 16.99
They are good quality and seem quite cheap.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000