Advice on setting up a viv
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nigandjules
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  09:57:46  Show Profile  Visit nigandjules's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had a look at some corns last night and we chose one! Just sorting everything out now to set up the viv. A few of questions (I'm sure they'll be plenty more!!). I'm getting a ProRep Heat Mat 7w 15 x 28cm (does it go in the tank or under the tank?). Do I need a thermostat for this? I'm also ordering ProRep Aspen bedding substrate. I've seen some posts that this is better than beech chip. And I'm using an old fish tank; approx. 23" x 12" x 12". Is this ok? I need to block off the cable holes. Can I use non toxic clay or any other suggestions? Many thanks in advance!

1 Amel Corn
1 cat
1 hamster
3 kids and a wife!!

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  10:21:24  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You will need a thermostat for the heatmat. Heat mat goes inside the viv if its a wodden viv/glass tank... if you are using a RUB (plastic storage box) or a faun then it will go under.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  12:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aquarium sealent is safe to use

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  14:02:58  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used blue tac to seal up my cable holes, but my snakes are prbably now too big to go through them but I made sure it was a massive wad of blue tac and that they couldn't push it.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  14:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should have taken my advice and got two Aspen over beech chips every time. Look forward to pics

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  14:23:59  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
tbh i'd go for kitchen roll or paper as it's small encloure for a small snake and i find babies better on kitchen roll, much easier to monitor and quicker to do a full clean

yes you need a stat, and the heat mat can go either inside on the floor or underneath, depends what's easiest really. you can set it up with the stat probe on the mat outside the faun, then set the temps to whatever the thermometer reads inside it - much less hole drilling and faffing about

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000