Could I use.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  22:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a bit of a DIY fix at the min although I have very little idea but might be worth a go. I'm thinking about making my own viv stack. I know glass is costing an arm and a leg at the min so was thinking of other options the two I've come up with at the min are...

1) A pair of glass shelves designed for kitchen display cupboards (Can make the viv to fit if i would be right.
2) That plastic glazing sheet you can buy from DIY shops (comes with cellophane protective cover on both sides) which I can cut down to size.

Has any one used these before and would they be suitable to use?

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  02:40:33  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) Make sure that you can get the glass runners to match the thickness of the glass shelves. They are usually 6mm as opposed to standard 4mm on supplied vivs.

Instead of ordering glass at the counter, ask one of the fitters at your local glaziers about scrap off-cuts. They are usually happy to cut these to size for the price of a beer instead of cutting from a full sheet. You should ask for toughened or safety glass.

2) I wouldn't recommend the various plastic sheets for doors. They are just flexible enough for a small snake to make a bold bid for freedom. They also tend to scratch quite easily.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  11:29:11  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i used perspex in a 3ft viv i made without any issues. yes it does scratch but not enough to worry about. im large sheets it is quiet flimsy but when its cut down to size it becomes alot more rigid

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  11:34:35  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glass from a glazer is quite cheap. I am a buyer for a construction company and buy it for our sites at no great costs. Like above if you ask them for cuts from the the scrap/waste cuts that they have its should be fairly cheap. And it will probably be 6mm like stated above also. Polised edges would also be better for you in the long run.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000