Not a good start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  19:46:10  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I picked up my new caramel motley yearling from the pet shop on Wednesday. I was so shocked when I saw him, he had the biggest food bump I have ever seen (wish I'd taken a pic of it). I asked and was told he was fed a large mouse the day before.

Now this is not a big snake, he's probably only around about 2' long, so I couldn't believe that he was being fed such large meals. I asked the guy in the shop and was told that he manages medium/large mice without any problem and I shouldn't feed him anything smaller. Here's a photo I took of him last weekend, does this look like a snake that should be eating large mice to you?

Well, unsurprisingly after all the stress of being moved, he regurgitated the mouse yesterday morning (OMG, possibly the worst smell EVER!). This was almost 48hrs after they fed him and the mouse was hardly digested at all. It was massive, easily over double the size of the medium mice my 3' yearling amel is eating. No wonder the poor snake was having problems digesting it. I'm amazed he managed to swallow the thing.

So now he's going to be left for 10 days and then I'll try him with a small mouse. He's retreated into his coconut hide. He couldn't fit all of his body into it when he had the food bump but now takes up less than half the floor space inside it.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  19:55:21  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bless him :( Pet shops seem to either over feed or under :(

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  20:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor thing, hope it does not put him off

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  20:27:17  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He is lovely. Poor thing.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  20:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hes just like my girl kodi , shes a yearling too and shes happily munching on 2 fluffs atm , no way would i give her a large mouse! ive not long moved her up to fluffs as she was always hungry . she manages 2 fluffs easy which means she will put weight on from the nice stuff in the fluffs , then maybe in a few months a small mouse maybe

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

EmSquem
Yearling

United Kingdom
525 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  20:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww poor little fella

1.2.0 corns (Star, Eddie and Scarlet)
1.0.0 Sinaloan milk snake (Harry)
1.1.0 Black Labrador (Berry and Buddy)
Go to Top of Page

dejvid
Snake Mite

Slovenia
36 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  21:13:13  Show Profile  Visit dejvid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, i offered an adult mouse to my rogana, and she was smaller than that gorgeuos thing of yours. Iwe done that just for curiosity, newer expected that she would atually ate it. i was woried for her all week, till she diggested all and pooped all out. she hawe to poop fife times. Although eweryhing went fine and she is a healthy and without consequences, i will NEWER do that again!

Stop the World, I Want to Get Off
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  23:38:38  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He is such a stunner too...hope all goes well from here on

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  09:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no,I bet you were fuming,never mind worried. 2 of mine are a similar size and they are on smalls.
Hope he recovers ok,he's a beautiful snake.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  14:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's lovely, bit of a worrying start for you though He looks the same size as Voldemort (who's 14 months and 32" long) and I gave him his first med mouse last week.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  15:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
poor snake???? why?? He ate it, he was obviously happy to eat it, otherwise he wouldnt have done.
However, just cos he can doesnt mean he needs to, stick with mediums.

Eating a large meal isnt going to do him any harm.

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  21:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sheesh, that's pretty crappy of the shop to feed something that large! My 4 year old, 5' corn is fed on large mice!
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  21:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You cannot force a snake to eat something willingly, if he doesnt want it, hes not gonna eat it.
If he ate it, he wanted it, he dealt with it, it was the SNAKES choice.
Dont think for a minute that snakes are creatures that are unable to think for themselves, they have been around for a very long time and have evolved into something thats probably better suited to making choices about food than we are.

A snake is more than capable of deciding whether something is too big, greedy ones will have a go anyway, and may decide half way through that it was a bad idea, the point is, either way, THEY made the choice, if they didnt WANT to eat it, they wouldnt have.

The petshop may have made an error in judgement sizing the food, but they didnt force it down his neck.

Go to Top of Page

yola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  22:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awwww poor snake, i do hope hes ok.
You mite find they hadnt fed him for over a week so therefore the poor snake was hungry and would try to eat any size mouse.
If snakes eat food thats to big for them it can damage there insides (im sure i read it somewhere), But atleast he regurgitated before it got to far down, althou thats tramatising enough for him i know. I would maybe try 1 or 2 fluffs on his next feed just to ease him back into an easy feed.
My 1yr olds that i kept from a clutch last year are all eating Small mice (i put pics up in the photos bit the other day).

With 27 beautiful corns I definitely have snakeitus :-)
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  23:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sheesh, calm down mike! Noones saying the shop crammed it down his neck! More that it was an error of very poor judgement on the shops behalf! I know my Lister would almost certainly have a good go at a large/jumbo mouse, but I certainly wouldn't feed one too him, because I know very well it would be too big of a feed, and he'd bring it back up! You wouldn't expect someone who knows what they're doing and selling these animals to people to offer food that it too big, especially when the snake had been reserved for pickup!
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  23:40:53  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just because he could swallow a meal that size doesn't mean he should get it. I'm sorry but there's no way that a 2' long snake should be feeding on large mice or bigger (the mouse he brought back up certainly looked bigger than any large mice I've seen). Going by the 1 1/2 times the width of the snakes widest part rule, he should be on small mice at the very most. He regurgitated 2days (which is normally the time it takes most snakes to digest) after being fed and the mouse didn't look even partially digested.

My friend bought a snake that was a fair bit bigger than mine the same day. It was fed by them last Tuesday as well. She picked it up today and it still has a prominent food bulge 4 days after being fed. We were told that they are fed weekly, so surely it can't be good for them to be given food so big that it takes them most of the week to digest, just in time to be fed again? Their stomachs never get a chance to recover.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  09:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

Sheesh, calm down mike! Noones saying the shop crammed it down his neck! More that it was an error of very poor judgement on the shops behalf! I know my Lister would almost certainly have a good go at a large/jumbo mouse, but I certainly wouldn't feed one too him, because I know very well it would be too big of a feed, and he'd bring it back up! You wouldn't expect someone who knows what they're doing and selling these animals to people to offer food that it too big, especially when the snake had been reserved for pickup!

Calm down?? from what?? Contrary to popular belief i dont get wound up posting on here at all, its not worth it, i just say it how it is.
The reason he regurged is not because it was too big necessarily, but because he was moved.
You've said more or less what i have already!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000