Bit of a problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  09:37:06  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys ugh im not a very happy bunny im normally super obsessive about checking my temps glance at the thermometers god knows how many times a day the other day the temps went down quite low so i turned up the stat a teeny bit was monitoring the temps they seemed steady at 29
However i noticed this morning when putting the mice for feeding in the viv to defrost then i noticed theres a hairline crack going through the middle the tank over the heat mat my first then i noticed the thermometer probe wasnt actually on the heatmat and probably hadnt been for a few days arghh so i removed the snakes rubs and put the probe back on the mat and waited the temp shot up to 40!! i immediately turned the stat down again (the dial was set to just below 30 from what i could see!!) so now ive turned it down to im assuming what should be about 26 expecting the actual temperature to be somewhat higher

Have i done the right thing ?

and will the tank be usable to house one of the snakes without nme doing anything to it or will i need to seal the crack first ?

Thanks in advance guys

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  09:51:48  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You've done the right thing turning it down. My Stat is set at around 24*C but temp gauges read 28-30*C.

Might be an idea to seal the crack purely for hygene reasons, but not sure its essential.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  09:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Assuming it's a glass tank, I'd just get some glue of some kind and simply glue a bit of perspex over the entire bottom, or a bit of lino.
Sometimes the crack is only on one side, so it depends on if you can feel it from the inside or not really.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  10:13:19  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reassurance guys i can stop panicking now thankies

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  19:55:58  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
this is why i use a glue gun to attach my probes directly to the mat

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000