New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  17:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ive just got my first snake today and believe it is a corn yet most of the pictures i see of corns aren't the same colour as mine so im just a little confused lol.

The pictures are quite blurred but he wont keep still lol.

1 x collie, 1 x mastiff, 1 x ragdoll cat, 2 x guinea pigs, 1 x leopard tortoise, 1 x rat, 1 x Bearded Dragon, 1 x sheep, 2 x corn snakes,1 bosc, 3 leopard gecko, 1 crested gecko, 1 x fiance, 1 x 3yr old step son = My Ark

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  17:52:36  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks anery to me xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  17:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is an anery

Go to Top of Page

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  18:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooh ok ty

1 x collie, 1 x mastiff, 1 x ragdoll cat, 2 x guinea pigs, 1 x leopard tortoise, 1 x rat, 1 x Bearded Dragon, 1 x sheep, 2 x corn snakes,1 bosc, 3 leopard gecko, 1 crested gecko, 1 x fiance, 1 x 3yr old step son = My Ark
Go to Top of Page

wood11
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  09:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just in case you're confused as you said you think it is a corn snake.

there are various 'morphs' - yours is an Anery - The Anerythristic Corn Snake is a one were the snake has had all the red colour bred out through selective breeding. This results in a snake that is primarily black and white. Depending on the amount of yellow present these snakes may exhibit various shades of brown.

As you have only just got the snake it's advised that you leave them alone for a good few days to settle in so it gets used to its new surroundings and doesn't feel threatened.

Go to Top of Page

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  12:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay thank you, im a member of another reptile group and they have said he should be in a smaller tub as he is in a 60l rub but i have put hides in ect for him to hide in but he isnt very active at all in there so far can any one clear this up for me ?

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  13:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have hides in and plenty of coverage in the rub (leaves, plants etc) then he might be ok. I have one corn who was fine like this and others that werent.

Corns arent particularly that active anyway (in comparison to some other species of snake) Out of my 4 I have one which is active during the day and night and the rest only at night time. (when Im asleep lol)

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  19:17:39  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wood11

Just in case you're confused as you said you think it is a corn snake.

there are various 'morphs' - yours is an Anery - The Anerythristic Corn Snake is a one were the snake has had all the red colour bred out through selective breeding. This results in a snake that is primarily black and white. Depending on the amount of yellow present these snakes may exhibit various shades of brown.

As you have only just got the snake it's advised that you leave them alone for a good few days to settle in so it gets used to its new surroundings and doesn't feel threatened.

This is incorrect, anery is caused by a single mutant gene that prevents red pigment (erythrin) from being produced and has nothing to do with selective breeding ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

wood11
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  20:21:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took the info I posted from this site:

http://www.snakebreeder.co.uk/html/anery.html

Sorry for misleading but just going by what I have read.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  15:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wood11

I took the info I posted from this site:

http://www.snakebreeder.co.uk/html/anery.html

Sorry for misleading but just going by what I have read.

Its wrong! selective breeding is used to bring out or accentuate a specific trait, like high yellow snows, aztecs etc.
Anery is a simple recessive as Eeji says.

Go to Top of Page

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  17:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol hence why i get confused looking at different sites haah
Thanks any way guys

Go to Top of Page

twigleroo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  01:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he/she is a beauty enjoy your first snake there awesome pets :o) x

cali king ~ Gava
carolina corn ~ Twiglet
caramel corn ~ Bisquits
eastern river cooter turtle ~ Mr Salvatore
german shep ~ Max
collie cross ~ Scrappy
jack russ ~ Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  13:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol ty :D

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000