Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  17:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think if you're going to build more than one you'll notice the cost effectiveness, for just one (if you're not building for a specific area/shape and don't mind how it looks) you're better off buying a flat pack one imo.

Having said that a lot of people enjoy building their own. If you don't have access to cheap/free supplies (good varnish alone from B&Q will set you back £15) then you'll never get it cheaper than a vivexotic.

Go to Top of Page

bigJME
Hatchling

125 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  20:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My viv was cost effective. Cost me £60 for all wood, doors, runners etc.
Only thing i didnt need was varnish so saved £15. You can see my viv build in my post located in this section. It was a ~1m x 1m viv, 600mm deep, could easily be made into a 3.5' x 1.2' viv with maybe £15 extra added ontop, although involves having all the viv doors open when you do want them open. One thing i will say, when you buy runners from ebay, 6mm runners have a 8mm gap, my doors where 5mm so 4mm runners would have been plenty, i have an annoying wobble on the doors due to the gap but im hoping to stop that soon

All depends where you source your material from, smaller vivs dont seem worth it if im honest. Although for £80 ish you could make 2 small vivs, again more then buying 2
Go to Top of Page

copey1975
Egg

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  13:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built these

The two large ones at the bottom cost £35
And the small one cost £28

Mark
0.1.0 Eastern Garter
1.0.0 Thayers King
1.0.0 Anery Corn
1.0.0 Florida King
1.0.0 Mexican Black King
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  14:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
theres a guy near me that makes them out of mdf or contiboard and they are 40quid for a 3ft one and for a extra fiver he adds a bulb holder, and he does stacks aswell for 160quid and they are all solid backed aswell
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000