New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  21:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, been advised by gmac to come ask some questions here while I wait to get access to the royal forum. Have done loads of research about corn snakes and was looking to get one. But after talking to a neighbour she has told me she has a five year old royal that her son does not want any more so has said I can have it free with a full viv set up. not really done as much research on the royal as the corn but am working through the care sheets and such and have a few questions if anyone can help.
1. Is the viv ok with a heat pad as it has one now but on the site it says a heat lamp is best.
2. Are they as bad at eating as they sound? My neighbour says it eats once a week on a mouse and strike feeds.
3. After moving it how long should I leave it to settle in before handling it? At the moment it does not really get handled and she wants to start handling it again before she hands it over?
4. How long should they generally be out of the viv and how often?
5. Are they ok as a starter snake as not had one before?
Think thats enough for now. Had loads more to ask but forgot now I am on here.
Thanks for all your help. Terry.

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  21:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Is the viv ok with a heat pad as it has one now but on the site it says a heat lamp is best.

Royals are large bodied and using mats for large bodied snakes can cause thermal blocking issues, this can cause burns to your snake. Lamps are best in viv heating

2. Are they as bad at eating as they sound? My neighbour says it eats once a week on a mouse and strike feeds.

they can be, but they can go on long fasts, generally this does the snake no harm but worries the living daylights out of the owners. Alsomice tend not to be as good for royals as Rats so is better to get them eating rats sooner rather than later

3. After moving it how long should I leave it to settle in before handling it? At the moment it does not really get handled and she wants to start handling it again before she hands it over?

Dont handle it until it has had a good few consecutive feeds with you if it comes with its own viv this shouldnt be too much of a problem.

4. How long should they generally be out of the viv and how often?

Depends really, will vary from snake to snake, ours are out for about 10-15 minutes a week

5. Are they ok as a starter snake as not had one before?
Think thats enough for now. Had loads more to ask but forgot now I am on here.

They arent bad starter snakes so long as you appreciate they do fast and you can handle that.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  21:42:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a 5 year old royal on a mouse a week
sorry to be a killjoy but there's alarm bells ringing for me.............
that's what my baby royal used to eat

don't get me wrong i don't like royals but as a first snake i think it would be wise to get one that doesn't have issues, tbh it sounds like this one does. generally royals aren't good for stressy owners and i don't personally think they're a good starter snake from a keeping point of view although they are very boring steady to handle they often don't appreciate the attention

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  08:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks again. Was originally going to get a corn but the royal was a second thought as my neighbour had it there. With corns can you handle them more? As I have two kids who are very interested in snakes and if we ever go anywhere like shows and there are snakes there they both love handling them and are both comfortable with them, would not want to get the royal just because it was free and then be stressing it out by them wanting to handle it, this would not be fair to them or more importantly the snake. Hope you can help.
Thanks again Terry.
Go to Top of Page

kelfezond
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  16:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think royals are perfect starting snakes, as for handling it completely depends on the royal, I have 8 royals now and each one is different some I can handle for hours at a time with no problem others get angry and upset after ten minutes.

The feeding does sound a bit off though a 5 years old the royal should be adult and I feed an extra-large mouse to my adult royal just to get it ready for the rat that follows. However at least it is eating each week it shouldn't be too difficult to keep that process going and move it up to rats.

As for the typical scaremongering behind royals being difficult to feed most of it's not true, royals eat perfectly well for how they are designed to eat, they're not meant to eat regular meals each week they are designed to fast for a time and it's normally, it's all part of the snake breed and nothing to worry about. If you keep a check of his weight to make sure he's not losing weight quickly then fasting is no problem at all, I've had royals fast for months and not lose any weight.

I think you'll find keeping a royal a rewarding process :)
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
357 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  17:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi ive only been keeping snakes for about 6 months ish and got a baby royal about 2 months ago. he is brilliant little snake and does not mind being handled often i handle him 4 or so times a week, has been a great feeder so far but ive not experianced the fasting yet.
that wont bother me as its what they do as long as their healthy and happy its all good. i agree with kelfezond they are good starting snakes bit slower moving than a corn but just as much fun. neither my corn or royal do much for most of the time to be honest

1.0.0 baird's rat snake, jeff 1.0.0 royal, derek 1.0.0 royal, frank 0.1.0 dog jenny 1.0.0 bull snake, ivan 0.1.0 bull snake, mavis 0.1.0 chilean rose, Bernadette 1.0.0 hognose, chuck 1.0.0 BCI, william

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
facebook(mention the forum) http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/profile.php?id=623879643

to live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else
Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  23:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been talking to my neighbour and she has said she would be a bit wary of letting me have him as he really does not like being handled that much and the viv is 4ft x 2ft so space would be an issue to. So back to a corn. Found a nice amel about ten miles from me so I am going to pick it up on Saturday morning. Will get some pics on as soon as I can. Once again thanks for you all taking time to help a novice out. But feel happier with getting a corn as I feel I know what I am getting into a bit more as done a fair bit of research over the last few months.
Just another thing while I am here I told my neighbour I would ask if anyone would know of somewhere close to us (liverpool) where she could sell the snake to as she does want it to go to a good home so
It can be properly looked after. Thanks. Terry.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000