New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OLG2011
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  21:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i've had my royal from a couple of days old, and its active, but i can't get it to eat :( i've tried scenting the pinkies, braining, and still no luck, the temps are ok, its got hides, but still no luck getting it to feed, and am starting to get abit worried now, so if anyone has any ideas i would be very grateful.
Cheers

sly
Hatchling

United Kingdom
273 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  21:49:35  Show Profile  Click to see sly's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how long have u had the little one? what are the temps out of interest? Have u tried leaving the meal in there over night?

also people on here may help u also http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/

James

Edited by - sly on 25/09/2011 21:50:36
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  21:57:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from a couple of days old and you bought it from a breeder then?

had it not fed before you got it, already im starting to hear alarm bells. royals should not be sold without being established feeders.

Royals are notoriously famous for not eating if their housing is not perfect. Especially one so young. The only advice i can give you is make sure the housing and temps are perfect and consider live feeding at first this generally gets royals going.

Go to Top of Page

OLG2011
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  22:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a friend who bred them, and i've kept various species over the years, so he was happy for me to take him/her :) The temp range is from 89*f to 84*f.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  23:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd second the call to come over to www.theroyalpython.co.uk for a lot of information on nonfeeding royals.

As with Gmac's alarm bells taking a nonfeeding Royal is notoriosly tricky to get them going, think of it like picking a lock, all the right bits need to fall into place at the right time.

They need to be kept in a very small RUB, i would say 9 litre is a good place to start but its been known to take 4 litre RUBs to do the trick, then your looking for 2 tight fitting hides, one on the warm side one cool side, black out as much of the tub as possible, all if you can, it won't do any harm. Then its no handling, just water changes every day (or even every 2 days if its very shy), give it a week or 2 of this then put a rat pup into the rub on a piece of kitchen roll and leave it overnight. If this fails you might have to consider assist feeding, Royals are built quite strudy so its not quite as tricky as snakes with little heads but still if you haven't done it before your best getting someone to show you how its done first.

Good luck and see you over on TRP.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

sly
Hatchling

United Kingdom
273 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  00:02:30  Show Profile  Click to see sly's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
GMAC i have joined the royal forum but i have not had my account activated would u be able to ask someone i am under the same username on there also

James

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  00:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sly i shall check yes, normally the accounts are activated in the morning so give me a nudge about lunchtime tomorrow and then I will ask.

email gmac@weneedcake.co.uk

edit: when did you sign up?

Edited by - gmac on 26/09/2011 00:12:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000