Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  18:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a few questions as the title explains

At what point does the cost of breeding your own food outweigh the cost of buying it in e.g - how many snakes would make this worthwhile

I realise they would have to be pre-killed and CO2 poisoning is the kindest way to do this - where do people get the co2 from

do snakes take a fresh killed mouse better than a f/t

and lastly is it really worth the hassle/cost when frozen is so readily available

appreciate any answers, thanks

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

eekamouse
Egg

71 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  23:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from wikipedia...
'Mice have a rapid reproduction rate; the gestation period is approximately 19 to 23 days. The typical litter size is 4 to 12 young. In some instances, up to thirty young have been born. Males can mate with the female as soon as the litter is born, which means that a female could become pregnant with another litter within 3 days of giving birth. Female mice should not be bred before 12 weeks or after 8 months; doing so can be very dangerous,[16] and some mice can die while giving birth. Females come into heat around every three to five days, so the pair can be kept together for up to ten days. Baby mice, called pinkies or pups, are born blind, naked, and deaf.[17] Their eyes are closed and their ears are stuck to the sides of their heads. Mothers may eat any dead or sickly offspring.[18] Pups begin to grow hair at two to four days. Ears open at three to five days, and the pups will start vocalizing. Eyes open at 14 days, and the babies will start exploring the world around them. At three weeks old they look like miniature versions of adult mice. At four weeks the males in the litter should be separated out so as to not cause the mother and sisters to become pregnant, while the females can be left in with the mother'

looks like a full time job to me....and you might need a BIG freezer and LOTS of freinds with snakes!

0.1.0 yorkshire terrier 'poppy'
0.0.1 cornsnake 'curly'
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  23:41:30  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There's a few on here that breed, I'd imagine that they'll give you some good info soon as well.
In regards gassing them it can be done slowly with simply an airtight container, or co2 bottles can be purchased from various outlets (chemists, weapons shops, or some supermarkets).
I got mine from Robert Dyas when I was in need of some.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  23:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I breed my own food, and usually say it is worthwhile if you have more than 5 snakes, co2 is the kindest way to kill them, although a sharp flick to the back of the neck is also a quick killing method, in terms of feeding better, a snake may have more natural instincts triggered by a pre-killed due to body temperature being perfect, the skeleton moving as it should, and also the scent being stronger, food can be purchased very cheap in unbranded bags for a few quid, but just because the mice will be fed to the snakes, doesn't mean that they are not entitled to the same quality of life :)

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  00:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is very rare ours get pre killed from our mice, purely as there is no guarantee when the mice will drop their litter so most of ours are frozen the defrosted.

I dont think with 3 snakes it is of any benefit to breed your own, we only started it when we were breeding the corns ad was handy to have a supply of pinkies around. also there is no guarantee the mice will reproduce.

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  07:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm not planning to breed food but was curious to the answers. Diesel,without question mice should be kept as humanely as possible, we all live and we all die but deserve the best inbetween, we kept gerbils and hamsters a few years ago. I'm not planning to breed food. Eekamouse - wiki is great, but personally not somewhere i tend to source my information as a lot can be untrue - but thankyou for finding that out for me.

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000