Frosted corns?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  10:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, looked up the frosty look on my hypo female and aparently (from a few different websites) its because of a grey rat cross?

Does anyone know anything about the gene that I might need know for breeding? Would it carry over to her babies, would they be het for it or have it at all? She'll be bred to a ghost stripe if that helps :S

Also, would I need to say when selling hatchies that they could be grey rat crosses? And are there any 'side-affects'? eg different head shape, different adult length (she's 2yrs and 4ft and still growing)?

here's a pic of her saddles:

Sorry if i'm freaking out too much...

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  10:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you say the frosty look, what do you mean? DO you mean the the white patches within the saddles? more white on the rest of the body?
I had a frosted corn before, and she didnt look much like yours!! I dont know about the grey rat crosses really, but ideally yeah you should advertise them as hybrids. As for differences, there will be some, but you will need to look very closely to see them, scale counts will be different, both the ventrals and the dorsals, saddle count could be different, head scale count, shape of the head, belly markings, theres loads of subtle differences, you just need to know what to look for. That said, considering you will be breeding to another corn, then cornsnake will be more pronounced than the the grey rat, so whilst it could potentially look exactly like a cornsnake, there is still potential for grey rat to be lurking in there.
What you wont get is a clutch of corns and greys, the two species cannot be crossed out after crossing, so grey rat will always be in there, assuming its there from the start. The only way you will be able to tell with your female is to compare scale counts, the head is the main one, the number of scales on the top of its head, i think its 21 or 22, somthing like that.

Go to Top of Page

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  11:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By frosty look, I meant white scales across her saddles and around the edges of her saddles, it looks like when you do a tree rubbing but in white (as shown in pic). I didn't know anything about the scale count and diffences so thanks!
I'll keep what you said in mind when giving away the babies.

Thanks for your help :)
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  14:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know anything like that, but thats one gorgeous snake!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2011 :  17:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottishbluebird

I dont know anything like that, but thats one gorgeous snake!

Thanks! She thinks so and stretches out along the viv as much as possible
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000