Help. 2 foot boa or a corn or another species
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emerald-snake
Snake Mite

9 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  14:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been offered a 2 foot boa and lovely viv and all the bits and pieces for £70.
Its a present for an 11 year old who will care for it wonderfully.

Are we taking on too much or should we stick to a cornsnake as neither of us have snake experience .At this moment in time i dont know what species of boa .

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  14:43:09  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Depends really on what type of boa it is. What age it is? Do you know what sex it is? Some of them can grow [b]very[b] big. Do you have room to accomodate a large snake?

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  18:49:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
honestly, dont do it. Young boas have a habit of being snappy on occasion, having been on the receiving end i can tell you that its not so bad, for me, for an 11 year old its gonna cause tears, fear and possibly the end of snake keeping. The other thing with boas is they do grow fast, its highly likely to be a BCi red tail, which grow upto about 7 or 8 foot, and will be too much to handle. Heaven forbid its a BCC, females top out at 12ft ish, and damn strong, my female was 10.5ft and 2.5 stone, she was stronger than me and i am 6'1 and 18 stone!!!
Boas are great animals, and make really good pets, just not really suitable for younger peoples!!

Go to Top of Page

fluffycorn
Yearling

United Kingdom
514 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  18:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's a first snake for a child then i'd suggest sticking to a cornsnake, I haven't got much experience but cornsnakes have proven to be fun and fairly easy to care for

1.0.0 Amelanistic Corn Snake
0.1.0 Jack Russell Terrier
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  19:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about an 11 year old and a Boa, firstly a 2 foot Boa is a new born and won't stay 2 foot for very long, if its the 'common' Boa then it will be very big and once it exceeds 6 feet will need 2 people to handle, though for a small child this is going to be required with any snake. They can be a bit tempremental, I have a Hogg Island Boa, she is a dwarf species but even with her she could be about 6 foot, she is half that at the moment and incredibly strong and even stronger willed, I have never so much as been struck at by my corn snake, the Boa is a bit bitey, its not so much a concern to me but to an eleven year old I think it would be a problem as you still have to put the work in getting them used to been handled and just accept the odd bite as part of the process.

Saying all that you know the 11 year old better than all of us, do you think at 11 they would be prepared for the 20+ years of responsibility and be bothered by the odd bite here and there?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  19:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd stick with a corn snake for an 11 yr old, nice and easy to handle and care for. It may seem like a bargain, but really not worth the risk when it's a pet for a child.

Go to Top of Page

emerald-snake
Snake Mite

9 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  19:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok consider thread over ..thanks for your replies i'm not getting a boa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page