New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  11:38:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Almost there with Voldemort's new viv. I intend to buy some LED lights eventually, but not until I can remove the divider. For now I have a bulb holder & guard and was thinking of using a low energy bulb. They seem to go from 5w-60w, so what would be best?

I'm also really worried about the heat mat being in the wooden viv, do I just put the hide on it as usual, or cover with a slate tile then put the hide on that? I know it's probably really obvious what to do, but at the moment I have the heat mat under his glass tank so this is all new for me

On the plus side, I do now have a perfect divider thanks to Auld Baldy

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  11:52:43  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can leave the mat on the floor of the viv and just put a think layer of substrate over it. The thermostat will stop it getting too hot temperature wise, and the mat is laminated so will water/poo proof.

Not sure about bulbs id have thought lower the better as less heat produced, but thats only guessing. I have LED's

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  11:54:21  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just have the hide over the heat mat. xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  11:55:09  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No damaged pink bits I hope.

The wee dumpy 5 watt low energy lights still get quite hot if left on but should be OK with a proper guard. They do for table lamps in my living room anyway.

The heat mat will be fine inside a wooden viv. A suggestion by GMac is to cover the heat mat with an oversize bit of lino, layer of substrate and then weigh it down with a hide, branch or other furniture to prevent burrowing between lino and mat. But don't use the water dish which should be kept at the cool end.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  12:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that, didn't want to just risk putting the mat in without checking first I'll get the 5w bulb, it's not really for him, more for us to see him as the viv is quite dark.

All fingers intact, as I suspected the job was 'taken off me' and after half an hour of grumbling (this is too hard, it's impossible) it was a perfect fit

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  12:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suppose I owe your OH a beer or two. I knew you'd try a cunning female ploy like that.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2011 :  14:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's always the same, if I make enough noise, drop a few things then he can't help himself, works every time

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000