New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EmSquem
Yearling

United Kingdom
525 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  17:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys! Just wondering, as I know that a lot of people say that keeping snakes is 'cruel' what your opinions are on the subject. How would you justify keeping an animal in a cage?

I'd say that if we didn't buy them , they'd be stuck in a smaller viv in the pet shop

1.2.0 corns (Star, Eddie and Scarlet)
1.0.0 Sinaloan milk snake (Harry)
1.1.0 Black Labrador (Berry and Buddy)

DTW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  18:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do ppl think they do in the wild? Run around in fields all day having a laugh? Or do they find somewhere safe to hide away and only come out when they have to hunt and even then have to be on constant alert for bigger badder things hunting for them? They get sick in the wild they don't get vets they die, if I was a snake I'd choose a viv and proper care any day
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  18:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Err whats cruel? bad keeping yes, so birds, hamsters etc its cruel to have them too?
I know that, i want having a go, just that people who would say that its cruel to keep snakes, do they think the same aout other caged animals

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes

Edited by - scottishbluebird on 16/09/2011 20:20:09
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  19:35:45  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
^ I think the op was referring to the majority of people who do not own or like snakes, saying they are wild animals therefore cruel to own comments that circulate everywhere.
I don't see it any different from keeping a dog, cat, fish or budgie. As long as you can provide the care and know your info on the animalthe animal, I don't see why it would be cruel to own them.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

EmSquem
Yearling

United Kingdom
525 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  19:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey again, just to let you know I'm with you guys 100% of the way. I'm not against keeping snakes or anything (I have three . . .) but I was just wondering about your opinions on it Thanks

1.2.0 corns (Star, Eddie and Scarlet)
1.0.0 Sinaloan milk snake (Harry)
1.1.0 Black Labrador (Berry and Buddy)
Go to Top of Page

fluffycorn
Yearling

United Kingdom
514 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  19:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If that was the case then it would be "cruel" to keep any caged animal including birds, guinea pigs etc, also zoos could fall under the same category

1.0.0 Amelanistic Corn Snake
0.1.0 Jack Russell Terrier
Go to Top of Page

fluffycorn
Yearling

United Kingdom
514 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  21:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EmSquem

Hey again, just to let you know I'm with you guys 100% of the way. I'm not against keeping snakes or anything (I have three . . .) but I was just wondering about your opinions on it Thanks

I also think that it has a lot to do with some peoples opinion on snakes (whether they think they are suitable as pets etc), they probably wouldn't bat an eyelid if someome had a bird in a cage or a dog in a kennel, people see those type of pets to be "normal" when in reality a pet snake is no different to a bird, hamster etc ... I have had someone say to me "a snake belongs in the wild where it can roam" the same person had a macaw

1.0.0 Amelanistic Corn Snake
0.1.0 Jack Russell Terrier
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000