Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fernorita
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2011 :  10:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I posted yesterday to say hello and promised a follow up with questions so here we go ......

Bit of info 1st. We got our very 1st corn snake (Bruce) on Monday we have been researching for weeks and had set up our old aquarium at the weekend with all the neccessary bits.

When we went to choose a snake from a really lovely shop in Dinnington we bought a smaller plastic viv to sit inside the existing tank until Bruce is big enought to feel safe.

The 1 3rd of the small viv is on a heat mat. We don't have a thermomstat but I have one on order (should be here today) and we've been checking the temp regularly with a meat thrmometer probe!! It's approx 30 but varies slightly depending on weather you measure in the hide.

The guys in the shop could not have been more helpful with care advice etc and have assured us that any follow up care will be readily given. He said Bruce was a Reverse Okeetee I'll post pics once he's settled and you can confirm (or not!)

OK questions.
1) I've orded two thermometers (the kind that stick on the tank) When they arrive where should I stick them? I know one at the hotend and one at the cold but how high? right in the corner? Does it even matter?!

2)Same goes for the thermostat probe. In the hide? under the substate? int he middle of warm end or at the edge?

3) OK so this is a gross one! Can someone post a pic of a healthy poo As he's our 1st I have no idea what one should look like so can't really assess how healthy he is until I know. All I have gather from your very informative forum is that they STINK! Perhaps I'm being too excessive here?

4) Shedding. No maybe I've missed a post on this so if you can direct me to it that would be great. Otherwise how long should a normal shed take once in blue? Should he be left alone totally or only if he's mardy? Do I offer food? and any other things I should know?

Sorry about the rant, I'm sure I'll think of many more questions soon!

Fernorita
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2011 :  10:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to say. Bruce does seem very happy in him mini viv. He's been exploring alot and is using all the hides we've put in.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2011 :  11:08:59  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fernorita

The 1 3rd of the small viv is on a heat mat. We don't have a thermomstat but I have one on order (should be here today) and we've been checking the temp regularly with a meat thrmometer probe!! It's approx 30 but varies slightly depending on weather you measure in the hide. you really need to turn the heatmat off until your thermostat comes.

The guys in the shop could not have been more helpful with care advice etc and have assured us that any follow up care will be readily given. He said Bruce was a Reverse Okeetee I'll post pics once he's settled and you can confirm (or not!) can't wait to see the pics

OK questions.
1) I've orded two thermometers (the kind that stick on the tank) When they arrive where should I stick them? I know one at the hotend and one at the cold but how high? right in the corner? Does it even matter?! The stick on thermometers are pretty rubbish. You really need the digital probe thermometers. I use these ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-DISPATCH-/230643242787?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item35b3689723

2)Same goes for the thermostat probe. In the hide? under the substate? int he middle of warm end or at the edge? You can rubber band the thermostat and thermometer probes together and put them on the base of the faun above the heatmat in the middle of the warm end. I usually weigh mine down with the hide. Alternatively you can plce the thermostat probe on the heatmat under the faun and just have your thermometer probe inside the faun. Just make sure you set the thermostat depending on what the thermometer is reading.

3) OK so this is a gross one! Can someone post a pic of a healthy poo As he's our 1st I have no idea what one should look like so can't really assess how healthy he is until I know. All I have gather from your very informative forum is that they STINK! Perhaps I'm being too excessive here? Hatchling poo isnt usually too bad, it gets worse the older they get and the bigger mouse they have with more hair etc. I usually compare it to bird poo. A lump of black stuff with white/runny stuff around, depending on what mice they eat will determine how much black stuff.

4) Shedding. No maybe I've missed a post on this so if you can direct me to it that would be great. Otherwise how long should a normal shed take once in blue? Should he be left alone totally or only if he's mardy? Do I offer food? and any other things I should know? Shedding can take 1-2 weeks from start to finish depending on the snake. Some are ok being handled but they don't really enjoy it as they can't really see whats going on. Most of mine will still eat when they are blue so I always offer food, one of the others will always appreciate it if it doesnt get eaten. Sometimes it can help to put a damp hide in their tank when they go blue although alot manage perfeectly well on their own. I would leave it be for the first shed and see how it handles it and then you can make plans for the next one if it needs it

Sorry about the rant, I'm sure I'll think of many more questions soon!

Answers in red, hope they help

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2011 :  11:12:16  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
1) Ideally you need a digital thermometer at the hot end. Should be place on the hot end below the substrate. The cool end one doesnt really matter where you put it. I have mine placed high up in my Faun.

2)Same as 1) , Rubber band or hair bobble them together

3)On a hatchie they are pretty small and hard to notice if using aspen or chippings. I'd recommend using kitchen roll for the first few weeks so that you can see when they poo what it looks like. When they are young it looks like a small bird poo. When older it looks completly different.

4) Once blue shedding takes 1-2days to go from blue to clear then a further 1-2days to shed skin. Thats what mine did anyway.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 14/09/2011 11:13:06
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2011 :  14:58:50  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
pretty much what has already been said good luck! cant wait to see pictures

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2011 :  19:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shame you did not post this last night, i was reading in bed, brat came through with Kellogs, both dogs were asleep on bed, Kelogs was happily crawling over the poor spaff and pooped half on him, half on the bed, i can assure you it was a very healthy poop!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Fernorita
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  12:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all soooooo much for your speedy replies. Very helpful indeed.

Can't wait to get him out and get some pics taken. I don't know how I'll stand all this waiting!! We've decided Sunday afternoon will be the day (once we're back from Doncaster) as it is when he's due a feed and he will have been in for almost 7 days. If this doesn't seem long enough please do say.

P.S. Lol at scottishbluebird! What an interseting site that must have been two dogs, a snake and poo! Sounds like some terrible comedy movie!
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  13:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet you're bubbling with excitement!
I'd personally just go ahead with the feed on Sunday and leave handling him and taking photo's till after he's digested. Just in case he is a little nervous as you don't want to put him off feeding.
Oh,and have fun at the show.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  13:01:26  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That should be an ideal time to feed him. I got mine out and fed it on the 6/7th day.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  16:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was funny, but my son found it funnier since it wasnt his bed, he found it funny till i made him clean the dog and change the cover!

Even if it is something gross like poop, just post the pic if you do want to check its healthy, its not anything we havent seen before!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes

Edited by - scottishbluebird on 15/09/2011 16:27:54
Go to Top of Page

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  17:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snake poop is em.... Delightful i missed getting it in the sleeve of my dressing gown one night by just a few seconds! On the floor instead

4.0.0 Kids (Hugh, Seamus, Athrun + JD)
1.0.0 Gingy cat (Fintan Stack)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Go to Top of Page

vetdebbie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2011 :  00:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get shat on about 3 times a day at the moment! The babies just do not appreciate me
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000