Grrrr @ unethical traders!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  16:06:57  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys i shant mention any names but i went to a certain store today to try and buy some larger food for Eddie and noticed they were selling lil teeny tiny tanks (ive got bigger tea cups!! honestly)and they were actually encouraging people to buy theese "tanks" to put siamese fighting fish in them!!
I felt compelled to say something so took one of the staff aside who tried to tell me that its perfectly ok to keep "bettas" without a heater or any kind of filtration at all and that they are quite happy at room temperature ..erm no theyre really not!! im seriously tempted to contact the rspca i think its disgusting.

Photo taken by me on my phone

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake

fluffycorn
Yearling

United Kingdom
514 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  17:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is tiny, it's like a little ornament :(

1.0.0 Amelanistic Corn Snake
0.1.0 Jack Russell Terrier
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  19:30:08  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The photo really doesnt show off the size very well u get a vague idea but if you stood any normal sized coffee mug next to it the mug would be bigger its a common myth that you can keep fighters in tiny bowls with no heater/filter you can do it they wont live very long though it made my blood boil they were trying to sell them to ppl with kids telling them you dont need anything else just that lil glass "tank" grrr soo mad no wonder theres so much minsformation floating about when you have places such as this selling stuff like that

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  19:49:10  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming the tanks are on the counter in front of the cash register in that pic. They really do look tiny, more like a paperweight than anything you would keep a living creature in. In fact my son made me something similar at school once for mothers day

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  19:56:34  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup thats them theyre really smaller than they look they were selling lil bags of gravel for a quid once u put that in it half fells the glass they had a couple fighters in ones dotted around the store the poor figthers literally have no room to move theyre basically wedged in its that small ugh

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

miss_mystra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  20:23:48  Show Profile  Visit miss_mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
vile vile vile, make my blood boil... saw one one ebay around the same size, except spilt into two section so you could put two in

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BETTA-DOUBLE-BOW-FRONT-DISPLAY-TANK-KIT-/370541470816?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item5645fe2460#ht_713wt_1151

makes me sick to think people think thats good enough to house a living creature

the RSPCA wont give a monkeys i bet...

0.0.2 Corn Snakes - Betty (Anery) and Sanchez (Carolina)
1.0.0 - Royal Python - Chancho
Go to Top of Page

EmSquem
Yearling

United Kingdom
525 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  20:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my friends has these, and I feel so bad when I look at the poor thing in there with no room to move about :(
She also captures slow worms and keeps them both in a tiny, tiny viv. But I bet the RSPCA wouldn't give a rat's ****!

1.2.0 corns (Star, Eddie and Scarlet)
1.0.0 Sinaloan milk snake (Harry)
1.1.0 Black Labrador (Berry and Buddy)
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  21:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eurgh! These tanks are a disgrace! I've kept fighters for a fair few years (phasing out the fish now, seeing as I got the snakes!), and I would never dream of keeping a male in anything less than a 20ltr with a good, gentle filter and a small heater. My females have always had the luxury of my 60ltr community tank, as have a few of the most placid males (not at the same time ofc!)
These little 'cups' are AWFUL.
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  21:21:16  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys after i posted i thought ooh er maybe its a bit too controversial but i just think its a disgrace i absolutely hate the disposable attitude that some people seem to have towards fish ..if it dies ill just buy another !!
Spreebok so glad to hear that you keep them appropiately so many people are misinformed i had a beautifull orange fighter (called him michaelangelo after the tmnt lol) kept him in a tank by himself as he was super aggresive in my community tank and killed a few corys ugh
but he had a small heater and filter they are tropical fish after all you wont find them in the coldwater section and yet people house them in unheated tanks argh
Mystra that tanks appalling and yet there must be a big market for them otherwise they wouldnt be making them ugh i feel so sorry for the poor fish people probably fill those things with tap water and just bung them straight in

Unfortunately i fear you are all right and i doubt The RSPCA will not give a monkeys but i will try

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

miss_mystra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  21:27:12  Show Profile  Visit miss_mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulie78

Thanks guys after i posted i thought ooh er maybe its a bit too controversial but i just think its a disgrace i absolutely hate the disposable attitude that some people seem to have towards fish ..if it dies ill just buy another !!
Spreebok so glad to hear that you keep them appropiately so many people are misinformed i had a beautifull orange fighter (called him michaelangelo after the tmnt lol) kept him in a tank by himself as he was super aggresive in my community tank and killed a few corys ugh
but he had a small heater and filter they are tropical fish after all you wont find them in the coldwater section and yet people house them in unheated tanks argh
Mystra that tanks appalling and yet there must be a big market for them otherwise they wouldnt be making them ugh i feel so sorry for the poor fish people probably fill those things with tap water and just bung them straight in

Unfortunately i fear you are all right and i doubt The RSPCA will not give a monkeys but i will try

sad really, seems that bettas are going the way of another unloved fishie - the goldfish. the RSPCA wont ever ban goldfish being giving away as prizes at fairs etc so they wont do anything about this :( but worth a try

0.0.2 Corn Snakes - Betty (Anery) and Sanchez (Carolina)
1.0.0 - Royal Python - Chancho
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  01:26:38  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's awful, poor fish.

Bettas are fantastic fish. I had one called Alan that was such a character and would refuse to eat if anyone but me tried to feed him.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

angriesthedgehog
Yearling

United Kingdom
884 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2011 :  20:18:31  Show Profile  Visit angriesthedgehog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
its vile - I seen these in stores as well

Its just as bad if not worse than Goldfish. I have three tanks of goldfish at home (had three and they bred) and none are smaller than three feet long with filters and loads of plants etc

Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2011 :  16:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rubbish tanks! It reminds me of the pet shop that told me it was ok to only turn my corns heat mat on at night!

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2011 :  21:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are shocking!! If I didn't know better I'd think it was one of those toy tanks that have plastic fisg,crabs etc in them. What a disgrace.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  20:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know people are not going to like this but still. I agree that yes you should have a filter and heater (although it may not be on much of the time0. However, if you look at how fighter live in the wild it is in a tiny dirty puddle on it own, until breeding season. I know that many of these fish are bred in captivity and have no idea what the world is like so its a bit different. Yes this tank looks tiny (and I'll never have one that small) but tanks similar to these with filter ect could be a step in the right direction for these types of fish.

Sorry said many would not like it.

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.
Go to Top of Page

Corrah
Hatchling

United Kingdom
154 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  13:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Betta and he's in a 180 litre tank, although not all on his own. There are other fish with him, but I would never dream of putting a fish into something so small. We have recently got 3 Mosquito fish (I think) and they are in our smallest 30 litre tank. Hubby is just off to buy a 4ft tank this weekend, so no idea where the heck we are going to put that! Mind you, gives me more ammo to increase my reptile collection!

1.1.3 Corn Snakes (Altivo, Millie, Peggy, Al & Fraggle)
2.1.0 Cats (Merlin, Floyd & Poppy)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000