Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Aubiose storage, and changing substrate question.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  14:06:15  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, for the last few months AURYN has been on beech chips. This ran out, and I gave in to getting some Aubiose, mainly due to it being cheap, nice looking and made of hemp - a much environmentally friendlier product (Rubbish Hemcore for adding citronella, seeing as the factory is 10 minutes walk away from me).

First question is about storage - 20kg is a pretty hefty amount! Once I open it, will it be okay to keep in my shed, which doesn't seem to get rain or damp inside?

Second question is whether I should give AURYN a settling in refresher week once I swap from beech chips?

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  14:54:36  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would recommend getting big plastic storage boxes for it. I had mine open in my garage, no rain or damp in there but it can sweat which makes it dampish. One bag was fine, another I only used for 2 cleaning sessions as in the seconds one there were a whole bunch of spring tails in it! And I taped it all the holes up so I'm not sure how it's happen but it has been fine with being it 2 80l boxes.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  19:41:12  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i keep mine in the loft, a decent plastic box is a good idea because we got mice a while back and they chewed the bag open and it went everywhere!

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  20:00:47  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to you both - i'm looking forward to seeing what he thinks of it

^click for more pics^
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  14:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or buy more snakes so it is used up after one cleaning routine :P

Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  18:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Garrie, bought a bale of Aubiose today for my wife's rabbits as she has wanted to try it for some time because of its absorbency and had no idea it could be used for corns. Is it ok to use on young ones (12/16 weeks) or stick to Aspen until they are older, I ask as I know nothing about the stuff.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  18:23:47  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't ever used it before (going to start it the next day or two)...its' my understanding that it is fine to use on snakes just about any age, but newspaper/tissue is much preferred for very young snakes due to it be that much cheaper and easier to clean/spot poop - someone may correct me though

gmac!!! I want more, I really really do...but I must must wait - something tells me the OH won't be impressed as i've promised a house rabbit before any more snakes...and of course the house rabbit can use it as well

^click for more pics^
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  18:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garrie

I haven't ever used it before (going to start it the next day or two)...its' my understanding that it is fine to use on snakes just about any age, but newspaper/tissue is much preferred for very young snakes due to it be that much cheaper and easier to clean/spot poop - someone may correct me though

gmac!!! I want more, I really really do...but I must must wait - something tells me the OH won't be impressed as i've promised a house rabbit before any more snakes...and of course the house rabbit can use it as well

Get that house rabbit......QUICK!!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000