wanted...book cabinet or similar to convert
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

liverpoolmadman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
375 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  11:38:33  Show Profile  Visit liverpoolmadman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey guys n girlies, im after a BOOK CABINET preferably with glass doors of the sliding variety that i could convert into a HOMEMADE VIV...im in SKELMERSDALE LANCS....anyone help please?

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  11:48:08  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
go to ya local council waste tip/reuse centre will be good place to start or any local freecycle websites

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

liverpoolmadman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
375 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  11:48:18  Show Profile  Visit liverpoolmadman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
forgot to mention guys n girlies the cabinet needs to be 4ft long so if not a BOOK CABINET something of 4ft long would do..seen someone on the FACEBOOK PAGE who is in the process of converting a cabinet and my corns will need more space soon.. sorry I missed this off the last thread.. :) silly scouser lol.

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  15:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Look for a small chest of drawers instead of a bookcase, preferably one of solid wood or plywood. You can pick these up from second hand furniture or even charity shops for around £10 - £15. If you find one tall enough you could turn it into a double stack. I do not recommend taking one from a skip or recycle dump. You never know what it might be carrying and it will probably have been soaked in the rain at some point.
Glass & runners should cost about £10. You might be charged a couple of quid to have the edges ground. Easily enough to do yourself with a sanding block, fine wet & dry and plenty of water.
Take into account the extra bits and bobs such as adhesive, sealant, varnish (best is yacht varnish but it is not cheap!). Panel of plywood or MDF to replace the back panel if it is plain hardboard. Wood strapping for mounting the front fillets for the glass runners. etc.

Don't forget, the mess, the time, buying or borrowing any tools required.

I'm not saying don't build your own, I'm actually in the middle of a chest of drawers conversion at this moment (two of them) and to be honest with all the above considered, buying a flatpack from SPS would not have cost much more. It surely would have been a lot quicker. I'm only doing it because I had the cabinets and other panels lying around but my living room looks like a construction site on an extended tea break.

Still, there is the satisfaction factor of knowing "I made this" and you can't put a price on that. Good luck.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000