Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 can you introduce and keep two females together?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nox
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  16:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard/read bits and pieces about malexmale vivs and femxfem vivs working fine, but is that an exceptional circumstance?

I have 3 large vivs (2males 1 female adults )and 1 mini viv for my youngest snake (female yearling). However my youngest is growing like its going out of fashion and really needs to be moved into a bigger viv asap. My other female loves company and is not too much bigger than my yearling. I wondered whether I could put them in together?
And if I theoretically could, how to go about it?

Thanks for reading and any help given!

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  16:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you will probably receive some.....heated(!) replies to your question soon enough. I know a few people here co-habit adults pretty successfully but it's a controversial topic to say the least.. I personally have two adult girls in together, and I have yet to have any problems with them. Probably the most important thing to consider us whether you know the snakes well enough to be able to monitor them and know if either/both of them are upset or stressed.
Of course I feed mine separately and there's plenty of hiding spaces around the viv so there's no competition for space. It really is a personal choice. There's a cohabiting thread on here somewhere which explains the many risks associated with housing multiple corns together, take a look and see what you think yourself!

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070
(sneaky edit to add the link!)

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog

Edited by - Katie.Dublin on 05/09/2011 16:16:04
Go to Top of Page

dtookey90
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  16:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely agree with Katie with the hides and feeding and knowing yor snakes well enough to notice any stress they might go through
I hope to cohabit when my females are old enough and I know a few people do it too with males and females (2 males or 2 females) with no problem at all :-)
Go to Top of Page

Nox
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  16:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear I completely missed that sticky thread! Thanks very much Katie and dtookey. They definitely have quite distinctive personalities and moods and I do think they would compliment each other. We shall see, I will take it very slow with them.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

dtookey90
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  17:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope it works out for you hope to see a post saying they are ok together :-) good luck
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000