Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

btcc11
having a break...

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  22:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, obvious statement I here you say!

You're completely right but I was thinking if your snake lets say butter morph escaped wouldn't it die much easier without the proper camouflage?

And if it did survive by chance what if it bred with other corns and there was a population of wild butters? Couldn't that potentially destroy corn snakes in the wild by making them more bright?

The United Kingdom isn't a country! Add England fool!

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  23:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not sure we have corns roaming about our streets to actually mate with each other. Also if they bred with the wild ones they wouldnt produce butters the would be normals so would then have to meet wild corns with the same hets.

Also pretty sure the palmetto corn was a wild caught specimen so there are morphs / non normal coloured corns in the wild.

Go to Top of Page

btcc11
having a break...

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  23:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Thanks for the info :)

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  23:16:11  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]

Also pretty sure the palmetto corn was a wild caught specimen so there are morphs / non normal coloured corns in the wild.

^^ this.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2011 :  23:52:09  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
all the single trait morphs are naturally occurring and although survival in the wild may be compromised by 'different' colouring or pattern they have been bred by us to continue those traits. Combinations of recessive morphs are not so natural because the chances of two individuals with multiple matching hets is very slim.

so you're half right ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

btcc11
having a break...

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  02:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay half right!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  10:04:14  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I did write a big long speech but cut it, hope I don't sound dumb! Why are most the wild cornsnakes a reddy orange colour, I mean, is there a lot of plants and rocks in merkin land that are reddy orange as you often see wild photos of them in trees against bright green...to me it seems virtually any colour corn has almost the same surviual chance because of this.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

btcc11
having a break...

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  15:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blends in with the corn.

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  16:05:20  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Arent they called Corn Snakes because they are generally found around Corn Stores (where rodents are mostly found). They red and orange colours i imagine come red dirt in those regions (generally means high iron content)?

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  18:11:21  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
... I do know why they are called corn snakes...Most corn I've seen is a shade of yellow. Although the shade of the dirt does make more sense, didn't think of that XD plus with the op's example of the butter morphs, they would blend in better with the corn :P

I think I have dumb blonde moments.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  19:00:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

... I do know why they are called corn snakes...Most corn I've seen is a shade of yellow.

Think it's because they were mostly (or thought to be mostly) found in and around the corn fields in north America (think it's north lol) where they would eat the mice and such.

Not as funny as the milk snake, which (As far as I know/have read) was named because people believed they would drink milk from cows udders
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  20:54:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
another possible reason for their naming is the ventral appearance (belly) of a wild-type corn resembling what we call a 'corn on the cob'

and as for 'Corn snake morphs aren't natural' being an obvious statement, surely the opposite is true? base-morphs in particular certainly are natural! where do wyou think they came from initially? a test tube?
all selectively breeding for double-, triple-, quadruple-trait morphs has done is speed up natural evolution. the chances of finding another morph to mate with in the wild is relatively slim compared to human intervention matching morphs at will

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  21:20:35  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i've always wondered why people think the cornsnakes belly looks like corn on the cob, I really can't see the resemblence

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  21:33:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
when you see the old cobs with yellow, orange, brown, black chequers..........like they have in american movies......and presumably in america lol, NOT like the ones from the supermarkets here or from KFC!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  21:45:56  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote

eej, how can that not look like belly chequers???

but why aren't they called 'maize snakes'??

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  22:59:07  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ahhhhhhhh now it makes sense! :D can you tell i don't do orrible corn? :)

Go to Top of Page

btcc11
having a break...

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  23:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
and as for 'Corn snake morphs aren't natural' being an obvious statement, surely the opposite is true? base-morphs in particular certainly are natural! where do wyou think they came from initially? a test tube?

You're so right, I hadn't thought of that.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  23:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also something you may notice, albinos and other less camoflaged snakes tend to be more aggressive, more defensive because they are easily seen.

Go to Top of Page

btcc11
having a break...

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  23:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't know I'v never owned/seen an albino except for online, I'm wondering why they call them albinos because they're not completely white.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2011 :  08:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
albino doesnt mean its white, just that its lacking a pigment. Technically an anery is an albino too, sometimes refered to as a black albino.

Go to Top of Page

btcc11
having a break...

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2011 :  11:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow I've learn so much these past two days :D I'm feeling like a snake expert :P

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000