Snake related D.I.Y
 ideas and tips needed please guys and gals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  16:32:48  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have just bought a 4 ft wooden viv. The idea is to partition it off temparairily. 2ft for one baby and 2ft for the other. Once they are much bigger then i will be buying another viv so they have their own vivs and then remove the partition in this viv.

My question is, i am planning on using melamine(however you spell it) for the partition. Other than the obvious of scewing it in place, are there any other temporary alternatives ie would silicone hold, be easy enough to remove, or any other ideas so i dont need to screw through the wood and spoil the top of the viv.
Also any tips for bridging the gap between the partition and the front of the glass. This will be mm but needs to be permanant/non movable when the doors open.
Any tips or things i need to remember please....Just realised will have to be aware of the viv lock when i position the partition.

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  16:33:52  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sorry to double post....or an alternative idea to using melamine.....

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  16:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could use some small metal brackets on the inside of the viv to hold the partition in place. That way no screw holes would be visable from the outside.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  18:02:57  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
aqaurium silicone ? it will just scrape off with a razor blade when its no longer needed ?

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  18:02:57  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Most people use aquqarium seal to hold it in place. I've never tried so... :/ I imagine once you get started it would be easy to remove.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  18:05:12  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aqaurium sealnt will come off with a razor blade dead easy i do it all the time when installing external filters on my tropical tanks it sets solid too so wont budge

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  18:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I would still be worried that it may come unstuck and fall on the snake. But then I worry about most things when it coems to my snakes lol.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  19:08:18  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trust me it wont budge if it holds glass together to hold 190 litres of water itll hold a bit of dry wood lol

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  19:38:41  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
so if i use aquariun sealant, in theory could i use a different material to create the partition. One that is easier to cut. Posiibly perspex or thin mdf(like what is used to back bookshelfs). Any thoughts??????? My ability to saw in a straight line is poo. or is melamine my best option

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  19:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulie78

Trust me it wont budge if it holds glass together to hold 190 litres of water itll hold a bit of dry wood lol

Hadn't thought about that, I can see I was worrying about nothing lol.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2011 :  20:25:59  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
melamine is only chip board an tbh is easier to cut than mdf are u getting it from a diy place??

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2011 :  11:24:41  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am replacing my tv stand. My old one is melamine so if I choose 2 use melamine, was going 2 recycle old tv stand as partition.

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2011 :  11:31:52  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i cant cut wood straight to save my life but i do think aqaurium sealnt is ur best bet as a fixative it u dont want to leave marks holes or anything like that just give it at least 24 hours to set

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2011 :  12:16:15  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the ideas guys. I will try 2 cut the wood. If I mess it up will sweet talk my dad in to cutting it for me. (chippies in the family come in handy sometimes)

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2011 :  15:03:00  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Instead of the MDF, chipboard or plywood route, have a go with foamboard. Available in 5mm & 10mm thickness. Surface is smooth and easy to clean. It is light and easy enough to cut with a straight edge and a new & sharp Stanley knife. You should be able to cut it just oversize enough to jam on the door glass then shave or sand it down to a sliding fit.

You can either cut a slot for the viv lock or just position the divider slightly off centre. I don't think the babies will go in the huff over 1/2 inch. In fact the glass door overlap should mean that it doesn't matter. A dab of silicone at the top and bottom corners should be enough to hold it securely.

Other things to try:
• A squeegee strip on the divider against the glass. (Rubber door/window draught excluder.)
• Magnet door catch block for a viv lock. I hate dangling keys spoiling the view. Cost about £1 per pair and work fine as long as there are no little prying fingers in the family. Taggart has not been able to break out although he often tries to slide the glass doors.

I'm actually in the middle of building a new viv for Mirkey using all foamboard for the carcase. I have a stack of offcuts from a Graphics Print studio where I used to work. I knew it would come in handy eventually. Look up your local Yellow Pages for Graphic or Signage Companies. They will probably just give you the offcuts which are normally just chucked in the skip.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.

Edited by - Auld Baldy on 24/08/2011 15:03:44
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2011 :  21:37:56  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. Some great ideas for me to try. I'm in no rush as yet so have time 2 experiment which is why I'm doing it now...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000