Shedding advice ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  13:36:23  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys sorry to be such a newb Eddies getting duller and duller and has a hint of blue im assuming hes preparing to shed when u hold him hes not so smooth and doesnt glide along as he did before its almost a sticky kinda feeling im sure you know what i mean
what should i expect how long will the process take and is there anything i can to keep him happy meanwhile ?

Thanks in advance

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  14:14:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey , yep sounds like a shed coming up . is it the first one with you ? best thing to do is leave him alone for now , minimalise the handling as he wont be able to see very well atm . normally i would have thought he will be blue and pale for a few days , and then he will clear and u will think he has shed , but he wont have , and then maybe 2-5 days later you should have a shiny new snake .

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  14:21:11  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeh shedding is the only thing he hasnt done yet since ive had him lol thanks for the advice

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  14:23:51  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just keep an eye on him. He will probably be less active and want to hide away for most of the time and might not be interested in feeding. A rough guide is that he will go into full blue over a period of about a week. The scale colour will also look duller than usual. You will then see the eyes go clear overnight and stay that way for about a week. After that he will shed the old skin. This normally takes just a few minutes so you might miss it but you will find the old skin rolled up like an old stocking.
Check the head section of the old skin and make sure that the eye covers and tail tip are completely intact.
Have a close look over the full body and make sure that there are no pieces of old scale still attached and pay particular attention to the tail.

This is a rough timeline and will vary beteen individuals but should give you an idea.
With a bit of luck, hopefully you will catch him actually shedding. Be prepared to be amazed at the process.

Check the forum sticky for more information.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  14:27:02  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info DOH! i didnt think to look at the stickys hes been hiding under the substrate last few days which he doesnt normally do so i figured hes probably going into shed mode i hope i get to see him actually shed that would be awesome

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  14:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you might be lucky but most of the time they are very shy about it and will either do it
a) when your asleep in bed
B) while you're out at work/shopping etc
C) just when you leave the room to make a cuppa or use the lav

I caught both of mine a couple of sheds ago purely by chance, but haven't been lucky enough to catch it again

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  14:52:02  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The other day I spotted Taggart just starting to split along the jaw. Just as I grabbed the camera the door buzzer rang, by the time I let my mate in and got back it was almost over. Ah well, there is always the next time. ;0)

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  15:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

The other day I spotted Taggart just starting to split along the jaw. Just as I grabbed the camera the door buzzer rang, by the time I let my mate in and got back it was almost over. Ah well, there is always the next time. ;0)

bet you were gutted

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  20:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive only caught 1 of mine shedding , he had been hiding so i got him out after he had cleared to check him over wen i came back he had split the jaw and i managed to video it. i always miss kodi shedding tho shes so shy!

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000