New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonnyc1988
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  10:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kaa has just come up to a year old, and I treat him to a nice new viv. I went to my local pet shop and bought a vivexotic 3ft viv, ready assembled in the shop (i cant be ****d with flat pack lol). I Got all the extras to make it look like a little jungle inside and I was so happy with my setup, and seemingly so was Kaa. He loved lying on his new log. Anyway, within a couple of weeks he has managed to escape his new viv. I saw him on his log on Friday, then i went to take him out on saturday for a feed and he wasnt in there. I pulled everything out and hes gone!! there is a lock on the front of the viv and the doors were shut, so there is no way he got out there. The only other option is 2 small holes at the top of the viv for wiring lights into it. I was actually going to buy some viewing LEDs for it, so just left them. I just assumed the viv would be snake-proof!! but obviously not. I have stripped everything out of my room, left flour on the floor, and I keep leaving rat pups (his current feed) on the floor next to his cave, heat mat and water bowl. But i have had no luck. I am absolutely devastated, I hope he turns up soon!! Sorry about the long depressing post, but if there is anything positive that can come from this then it is a warning to all vivexotic owners. Dont be a dummy like me, please fill in the holes at the top of the viv if your not going to use them.

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  10:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no!
I hope he turns up for you soon! Set bottle and flour traps, see if they help any.
My Goonie was missing for a few weeks but then turned up in the garden of all places, so dont loose hope

Edited by - Figs on 07/08/2011 10:37:43
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  10:33:54  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hope he turns up for you xxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  10:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, i hope he hasnt got outside. His viv is upstairs, so im hoping he hasnt decided to venture down the stairs yet. I havent tried a bottle trap yet. after feeding he always sits in his cave with his heat mat for at least a day, so i figured if i just leave them all set up on the floor with some food i would find a fat snake sat in his cave. But unfortunately it hasnt worked yet. which is surprising as he has never turned down food, he always wolfs it down!! I have flour strips across all doorways, but he hasnt crossed any of them yet.

Go to Top of Page

west5680
Hatchling

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  11:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is a fantastic post on here somewhere about what to do when snakes get out. Its really good, can't find it at the min as on my phone but hopefully someone will know the one i mean and send you the link. Good luck and keep faith.

0.1.0 Wife
4.0.0 Children
0.5.0 Chickens
0.2.0 Cats
0.1.0 Amel corn (Sydney)(hatchie)
0.1.0 Carolina corn (Sienna)(3yrs)
Various coldwater fish
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  11:10:39  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When I've built those vivs in the past I've put the back on last and turned it upside down. The holes are perfect for stat/mat cables so removes the need to drill more.
When sealing I just squidge a bit more sealant into the holes.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  11:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers, i will be sealing the holes when kaa decides to show up. I have read the sticky by Kellog and tried absolutely everything on it. I wish it was winter, coz our house is freezing with the heating off. would be so easy to lure him towards one heat source. But currently the temperature isnt too bad, so he probably isnt too bothered. He must be hungry/thirsty though! just wish he would hurry up and come back so i can stop stressing!! I know as soon as he does turn up I will probably find the whole ordeal quite ammusing, but as it stands im a bit of a mess. I need my snake back!!!

Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  11:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh fingers crossed for you he turns up very soon !

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  11:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hopefully he'll show soon for you :(

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Corrah
Hatchling

United Kingdom
154 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  14:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keeping my fingers crossed that he turns up soon.

1.1.3 Corn Snakes (Altivo, Millie, Peggy, Al & Fraggle)
2.1.0 Cats (Merlin, Floyd & Poppy)
Go to Top of Page

jonnyc1988
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  14:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, trying not to think of the worst, and just praying he turns up soon!! Will keep you all posted

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  16:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really do hope he turns up soon, this is my biggest fear, as i have said before as a joke, we should stick little cat bells on their tails, someone should invent something like gps for snakes

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  16:17:58  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hope he turns up soon.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  20:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hope he decides to get hungry soon

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  09:10:21  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

When I've built those vivs in the past I've put the back on last and turned it upside down. The holes are perfect for stat/mat cables so removes the need to drill more.
When sealing I just squidge a bit more sealant into the holes.

That's what I did with mine :p I will still be covering up some of the cable holes and putting book binders on the viv door with my year and a half snakies though!

Hope you find him soon!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  11:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no,hope you find the little trouble maker soon.
I've never thought about turning the back upside down....DOH!!
I used the holes for my cables and to hang some of the plants with though so have them blocked in that way,all my vivs have binders on the doors too.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Edited by - Mort13 on 08/08/2011 11:24:17
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  11:31:49  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hope you find him soon!! Its my biggest worry at the minute. Always afraid of an escapee. You would have thought viv's came escape proof...

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  16:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you find him, good luck!

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000